Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Ford Fiesta ST: Dyno Tested

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2014 Ford Fiesta ST: Dyno Tested

Just how hot is Ford's latest hot hatch? We dyno tested the 2014 Ford Fiesta ST to find out.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    corollamikecorollamike Member Posts: 29
    Have been in love with Ford's Verve concept the day I saw it (and yes, a purple Verve sedan IS the wallpaper on my computer screen). Too bad about the Focus. Its design and execution just seems... lost. The Verve's... er, uh, the Fiesta's look is spot on. Maybe it's just 'cause it's little. Anyway, happy to see the Fiesta ST is living up to its promises.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Very interesting - looks like this was an early-spec Focus ST. They had some ECU tweaks that preserve power higher in the RPM band later in the production run for 2013 models. Torque and power look like they're peaking generally at say 275 lb/ft and 240 hp. About the same as my stage I 2011 GTI, except the GTI holds peak power out to beyond 6k rpm. I am still making 200 lb/ft at 6k rpm - this Focus is down to 170 at that engine speed, but I am running 93 octane. The Focus would probably do the same with 93. The Fiesta ST is just great - very nice turbo/intercooler implementation.
  • Options
    glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    Fun little car. I'm personally looking forward to the US release of Mountune's MP215 kit.
  • Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Love the Fiesta ST and the color. Would make a fun daily driver.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Octane makes a noticeable different in the Focus, a difference I didn't think I'd be able to feel. It's especially noticeable in the upper reaches of the rev range. 87 is OK for conservative driving, but if you're looking for a good boot to the kidneys, 93 is the way to go.
  • Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    While a slightly higher octane fuel in the Focus ST should help with consistency, the massive drop in torque is primarily because the stock BorgWarner K03 turbo, although the version in the 2.0L EcoBoost is large for its family is still very small and chokes off flow quite a bit as power builds and revs increase (more exhaust gas and less time for it to pass through and out the turbine wheel). It provides a great potential for low to mid-range torque and minimal lag which is especially important in the other vehicles applications the engine is used but if you look at the aftermarket tuning results trying to command higher engine torque and the increased boost and it still drops off precipitously towards redline.
    ---
    From data logging the charge temps off the intercooler they can get high as well which likely affects consistency and power for the Focus. Without being able to run increased boost pressure to compensate for hotter, less dense air (due to the turbo being maxed out) and limited to the ignition timing that can be run at higher compression on pump gas, even with direct injection, there's not much the powertrain controller can do to keep power up when on a dyno that can't produce the same amount of airflow the car will see moving down the road at speed. That is a big fan but nowhere close to being able to replicate real-world airflow over the frontal area.
  • Options
    patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    I'd rather spend the extra $2000 (or pay extra on the Fiesta) to have the sophistication of an independent rear suspension the other three offer rather than deal with a twist-beam axle that seems okay when new, but doesn't age very well as the rest of the suspension wears down.
    Been there, done that, won't do it again.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    So with the constant high air flow speed from the huge electric fan, you got better results than if you had a fan that could much the air flow speed with the speed of the car as it would accelerate if it was driven on the road. Thanks for the explanation.