Options

1996 Lexus ES 300 Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

Comments

• Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Wow great service! Take all your old cars to him if needed.
  • Options
    zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    Can't beat that price!
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You had vacuum hose issues before, and that other commenter pointed you in that direction...can I ask if you tried to check out the vacuum hoses yourselves before taking it to a shop? This is supposed to be a low-budget operation with this car. Great that the shop owner did this for nothing - he sounds like a keeper.
  • Options
    noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    better put him on your christmas list! how many bad/loose vacuum hoses have you had so far?
  • Options
    I think if I were the typical owner they are trying to channel, I would buy $10 worth of vacuum line, grab a set of sidecutter pliers and replace everything. It would take about 45 minutes and end this death of a thousand cuts (see what I did there?).
  • Options
    rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    fordson1, I took a quick peek under the hood to look for any loose hoses, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm guessing the hose was deeper into the engine bay. -Ron Montoya
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply - I hope this does not keep popping up for you, since all of those hoses are of the same vintage...old. I like this car and think that basically it's a keeper.
  • Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    That's nice of him. I notice in the picture the corner of a Mercedes W140 peaking out; as someone who owns one, I figure he gave you the hose for free because he makes a killing off that W140 owner.
  • Options
    mdj61254mdj61254 Member Posts: 4
    As the unfortunate soul who got to spend $180 for the vacuum hose leak, wanted to let everyone know that several shops told me I had to go to a facility that had a "smoke machine" that could identify the location of the leak. Apparently the leak was allowing the fuel vapor management system to "depressurize" which caused the system to throw a code, or at least that's what I was told!
  • Options
    zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    mdj61254, I don't think you're unfortunate at all. I used to own a 1991 LS that would cost me $700 to $1,000 each time I brought it in. $180 is very reasonable for any type of luxury car.
  • Options
    bhysjulienbhysjulien Member Posts: 5
    Customer service! Kudos to A&M Motors and Mr. Garcia!
  • Options
    bhysjulienbhysjulien Member Posts: 5
    Customer service! Kudos to A&M Motors and Mr. Garcia!
  • Options
    sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    Wow, that was nice. I'm guessing that the problem must have been very obvious for him to not charge for diag time.