Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Broken strut, can't get tire off the ground. Dodge Intrepid.

homework1homework1 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Dodge
Working on a 1997 Dodge Intrepid. The driver side front strut is broken. When I tried to jack the car up to get the wheel off, the wheel would not come off the ground. The bottom plate that holds the spring is resting on top of the tire. The only alternative is to put the car on a lift, HOWEVER, there aren't any "shop rental" places because of the high liability and if I take it to a repair shop they are going to charge a fortune to replace the strut (which I can easily do myself). Question: Do you think I should try to jack up the driver front side and try to pry the tire off ???

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Where is your jackpoint at present?
  • Options
    on the frame
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gee I hesitate to advise without looking at this in person.
  • Options
    The strut looks like it is cracked between the top plate of the spring and the upper mounting plate. Not going to take a chance that it would crack through completely and rattle around while driving. Decided to just tow it to a shop and have them put it on for safety sake. I already bought the strut (complete) so it shouldn't be a big job with a lift.