Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do You Know What Pure Drive Is? - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Nissan
imageDo You Know What Pure Drive Is? - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

We drove our 2014 Nissan Rogue more than 700 in the month of May. Here is a report on its fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

So it's like one of those feel-good awards that are given out to all the kids who participated at camp?

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2014

It is just like Honda's "Earth Dreams" name since they finally added direct injection. A label they added to their 'old' technology so they can feel like they are something like Mazda with their SkyActive which actually has some impressive innovations to it. There's a great presentation on SkyActive at: http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/36/coleman_dave.pdf

• Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94

Gotta give Toyota credit. They don't badge it unless it's something uniquely different (Hybrid or Plug In). I think the Skyactiv moniker is appropriate for the Mazda, but only if it features stop/stop technology and that fancy capacitor. CVT's, lighter weight materials, and DI shouldn't count as they're fairly commonplace.

• Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

"Hybrid" is a combination of two or more things; so really anything that's not hybrid is "pure". Automakers could slap a "PureDrive" logo on every conventional drivetrain they make!

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315

The engine setup is for increased MPGs and they put a "Pure Drive" badge on it?!?! I guess that's nothing compared to the "Web Neutrality" FCC proposal title...

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145

Well, the Skyactiv engines do have the 14:1 compression ratio with the trick headers and funky piston crown. I suppose that's a differentiator from the competition.

• Options
    cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54

That badge would be one of the first things I remove after the dealer license plate frames.

• Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93

I dislike when the manufacturers put the trim level and drive wheels next to each other.

It makes it look like the car's name is the Nissan SLAWD.

I laugh everytime is see an Acura called SHAWD.

Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • Options
    rj_xtrail_2rj_xtrail_2 Member Posts: 16

you forgot to mention Honda's Earth Dreams

• Options
    jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156

OMG I saw 500 or so "pure drive" badges on a weekend road trip, including the Altima I rented. Somebody please tell Nissan that happy joy joy word jazz doesn't play in the USA. Lose the badge, use a softer plastic on the steering wheel, and tighten the rubber band they use as a CVT. Otherwise beautiful car.

• Options
    rgp1000rgp1000 Member Posts: 8

I don't like a useless badge like that, but the 2014 Rogue is pure driving fun. :)

• Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576

I think I read where Pure Drive also means cars meet or exceed 2016 CAFE standards.

• Options
    wavelover757wavelover757 Member Posts: 1
    I sell Nissan products for a living and Pure Drive is, quite frankly worth mentioning. It basically means that the vehicle that carries it has exceeded the 2016 CAFE Standards. The CVT transmission is a large part of how it accomplishes this, but there's also improved aerodynamics, microfinished surfaces in the engine, and electrically assisted power steering instead of one driven by the engine. Some, but not all Nissan models carry the badge also.
    I'm writing this the day after the Climate March in New York City where 400,000 people came to support the Climate Change Initiative and the line of people stretched 4 miles in Manhattan. That is a sign that people want change, the US Congress is demanding change through the laws they create and vehicle manufacturers are delivering it! Life is getting better.
  • Options
    greg_millergreg_miller Member Posts: 1
    How DURABLE is the CVT? If it's like the Saturn CVT, it's trash in 60K miles. Until I see how well it lasts, I'm staying on the sidelines with this tech.
  • Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576

How DURABLE is the CVT? If it's like the Saturn CVT, it's trash in 60K miles. Until I see how well it lasts, I'm staying on the sidelines with this tech.

The Nissan CVT has been around at least 10 years that I am aware of and is used in many models.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    Seems like Nissan's CVT had more teething pains that other brands, just from skimming the forum posts over the years. The actual percentage of failures is probably within the norm, if you could get your hands on warranty repair numbers. Sometimes you can gleam interesting trends from Warranty Week, but Nissan doesn't disclose any warranty expense numbers.
  • Options
    beturassitisbeturassitis Member Posts: 1
    Pure Drive I admit is a marketing ploy, but when it comes to the Nissan brand at least they back it up. Altima is a full size sedan with 38 mpg highway, Rogue deemed top of its crossover class 33 mpg highway, and Versa note and sedan 40 mpg highway. All of which are top of their class in fuel economy. So, of all the badges out there, pure drive is top of its class. And the CVT transmission was invented by Nissan. Sure they had some early problems, but as of now most cars and trucks come with CVT. Which means most car makers are trying to be like Nissan, well at least their transmissions. And for those that don't know, the CVT transmission is driven by a timing chain not belt which never needs to be changed for the life of the engine.