Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Corolla S, check engine light on and VSC off light flashing

phillykoreanphillykorean Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Toyota
Hello, I own a 2010 Toyota Corolla S the 1.8L 2ZR-FE engine. Today after work I started the car in a sheltered car garage and as soon as I started the car the after the initial start up sequence the check engine light stayed on and the traction control light stayed on and right next to it on the left side the "VSC Off" light kept blinking and flashing. I turned off the car and started it several times to see if that did anything and to no avail nothing happened.

While I was driving those lights stayed on and the VSC off light kept on blinking.

I also checked the brakes and the brake fluid and they all seem to be fine, I even checked the fuel door as well.

I am not sure what is wrong. I was looking at some of the complaint sites and most people say it happens when you drive through a deep puddle or if it is cold and wet outside. But that didn't make sense because I drove in the snow and those lights never turned on. The only time I used the ETS button is during the snow storms and I drive at low speeds.

I need to know why this VSC off light is blinking? Is it a bad sensor or is the ABS/ETS brake system broken or is it an ECU issue or is it because of an alignment. Since I was told to get an alignment soon.

See also: 2010 Toyota Corolla Question: Check engine light on and "VSC off" light blinking with the ETS light on.

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    What others are refering to is the VSC light comes on when that particular function is automatically activated and being used; yours is a totally different issue. Your car should be under warranty correct? Take it to your closest dealer; doesn't sound like any kind of major issue to be worried about though.
  • phillykoreanphillykorean Member Posts: 2
    according to a fellow customer that went to the dealership recently told me that the reason why the VSC off and ETS lights are on and blinking is because it might be a sensor issue because whenever the check engine light turns on usually it will automatically disable the traction control. The dealership also told them that it was because the gas cap wasn't on tight and I checked for that and it is on nice and tight so that isn't the problem, but toyota insisted that that was causing the problem
    Well they should know! After all, all they have to do is hook-up their scanner to the car and check the code.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    Once the check engine light is on the engine computer will store one or more error codes.
    The code is read from a connector on the underside of the dash with a scanner.
    Until the codes are read everyone is just guessing at what's wrong.

Get the dealer (or some auto parts places do it for free) to read the codes and post them here.
    They look like "P0123".

A common misconception is that an error code will point to a specific part that's bad.
    The code only tells what area of the system is having a problem.
    So it could be a bad part or just a poor electrical connection to that part, or a leaky hose etc.
  • aec08aec08 Member Posts: 1
    This recently happened to my 2010 Corolla. I took it into the dealership who checked everything and after an hour and a half told me it was the gas cap. Two weeks later, the same thing has happened again!

I'm waiting for the dealership to call me back, I've put a complaint into Toyota. I have also had an adaptor plug fail on me two times now. I'm feeling like I have a lemon.
    I'm just curious, what is an "adapter plug"?
  • joyblfjoyblf Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing happen to my 2010, I was wanting to know how this turned out....
  • traceedtraceed Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you had any conclusion to this problem. I have replaced the gas cap, replaced the vacumn in the back... lights are on again. I am more then annoyed.
    Why don't you just have an engine scan instead of guessing?
    I don't think normal people carry wedges and an air jack around with them just in case they lock their keys in their car; perhaps and extra key in the wallet might be a lot less to carry.
  • xl5xl5 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have the same Problem w/ My2010 Corolla & I feel I got a Lemon too. What was the Out come? Any Help would be great Thanks.
  • chrisz5chrisz5 Member Posts: 1
    Dealership told me that an animal chewed thru the hose. They believe no damage but need to replace hose by taking out back seat. Sounds like a scam to me. It just so happens that the oil light and VSC light off came on at the same time (oil change was due). If animal chewed thru hose, why didn't light come on sooner? I park in my garage and area at work where I park is not in a wooded area. I have 35m miles on car and they want to charge me over $250 for repair. I'm going to the manager on this one...
    Just take it to another Toyota dealership and ask them to look at it to be sure.
  • bvt10bvt10 Member Posts: 1

check engine light on and VSC off light flashing
    I have a 2010 Corolla LE which showed the same problem. One day, the VSC off light and check engine started blinking but went off after some time.. I didn't give it much thought till the car got stalled while traveling on interstate. When i started the car, check engine light and VSC off started flashing. The accelerator pedal was not at all working and the car was moving at a very slow speed...But it was ok after some time .. I went to the Toyota dealership next day and found that there is a problem with the ECM module. They changed the ECM module free of cost and both light went off...Also i find that there is substantial improvement in the acceleration of the vehicle after replacing the ECM module...
    But the VSC off and Engine light can blink for many other reasons also ..So better take it to a dealership ...Also check Toyota technical service bulletins (TSB) for more details about defects (http://www.toyotaproblems.com/tsbs/).

• 2010corolla2010corolla Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all for comments. VSC OFF flashing and Engine light (continuous) were on for my 2010 Corolla CE (Canada) and I checked the gas cap. No go.
    I disconnected the negative post of the battery for 30 seconds, reconnected it, and it fixed the problem. Lights are off! :-) I suggest you try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds before you go to the dealer... You may get lucky like I did.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Disconnecting the battery is not a good way to clear a code because it may affect how the car operates and might also create some other persistent condition. Best to clear codes with a scan tool.
  • carmdrizcarmdriz Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same thing happened to my 2010 Toyota Corolla LE with 127k miles on it. This car is been very good to me and this is one of very few problems I've ever had with it. After driving through 20 minutes of a downpour my engine light and VSC lights came on. My car started to run as though it went down a couple of cylinders. It seems as though it wanted to stay in locators as I approached 40 to 45 miles an hour. I was able to drive it to Miles 2 mile parking lot at work and I shut it off for 20 minutes hoping that would fix the problem. When I started the car back up the lights were still on, but the car was running a little better. I took it to an auto parts store where they access the computer and read the error code. The area code was for a faulty knock sensor. I called my mechanic and he said a faulty knock sensor would not cause your car to run poorly. He thinks it was just some water had found its way into the intake And needed to work it's way out of the system.  About five minutes after having the error code red at the auto parts store the lights were off in my car was fine. It is also important to note that the rain had stopped for about 15 minutes prior

• carmdrizcarmdriz Member Posts: 2
    *low gears
  • mmaxwelmmaxwel Member Posts: 1
    I took mine to Firestone and it was the ignition coil #1.
  • alico80alico80 Member Posts: 1
    VSC off blinking & check engine light on 
    Corolla 2010 le 
    What is the main problem and how can be solved totally ??
  • bettlebugr20bettlebugr20 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 toyota Corolla s was doing same thing took it and had it plugged up and it says that my oxygen sensor on bank 1 is bad 
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

My 2010 toyota Corolla s was doing same thing took it and had it plugged up and it says that my oxygen sensor on bank 1 is bad 

Did you have the O2 sensor replaced? Did it resolve the issue?
  • KoolaidtwistKoolaidtwist Member Posts: 1
    My VSC Off light/check engine light turns on and off randomly by itself. P0420 code. New Cat Conv. a few months ago. Any suggestions?