Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Traction control light and engine light - 2010 Chevrolet Impala

debbieuredebbieure Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet

This morning I was driving to work at 6 a.m and it had just snowed during the night. As I was driving the traction control light and engine light came on and the display read reduced engine power, check traction control and another message about stabilizer. The car slowed down and started shaking. I parked it at work and when I got off at 6 p.m I started it up and the engine light was still on but it was no longer shaking. I drove it across the street to the Chevy dealership and since it is sunday it is not open. So I will stop by in the morning to have them check it out.

Comments

• debbieuredebbieure Member Posts: 4

I now have 101,000 miles on the car and my warranty is over. So I don't feel like I should be reponsible for the mistake and not correcting the problem which is very obvious by GM

• marie4umarie4u Member Posts: 1

yes you are right, you are responsible for your mistake.

• ewbsuffernewbsuffern Member Posts: 1

What happened in this case, debbieure? What was the diagnosis of the reason for the reduction in engine power? How was it repaired? My wife had this happen also to her 2010 Impala LT

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@ewbsuffern said:
    What happened in this case, debbieure? What was the diagnosis of the reason for the reduction in engine power? How was it repaired? My wife had this happen also to her 2010 Impala LT

Hi ewbsuffern,

If your wife would like to email me at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber], I can connect her with a dealership to have her vehicle diagnosed. Please have her include full contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership.

@debbieure said:
    I now have 101,000 miles on the car and my warranty is over. So I don't feel like I should be reponsible for the mistake and not correcting the problem which is very obvious by GM

Hi debbieure,

I understand your frustration with your vehicle and apologize that you're experiencing the Traction Control and Engine lights on your vehicle. Although I cannot make any guarantees, I'd be happy to do some additional research on this matter and try to offer my assistance. Please include your contact information and VIN if this interests you.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• cgittmancgittman Member Posts: 2
    I also have experienced this. I have a 2007 Impala around 77,000 miles. All of a sudden service traction control light reduced engine power and engine light came on. Drove less than a mile car was so rough I turned around and headed back to work. I've searched internet seems like this is a common problem with these cars. I think Chev/GM should fix this problem. Thinking it's time to switch auto makers for me. Very disappointed!!!!
  • adriennepadriennep Member Posts: 1
    I starting to think it is time for a recall because I have a 09 Chevy Impala with 54,000 miles and it keeps reading Service Traction Control System and Engine Power Reduced. At one point while heading to work, it did it and I was heading up a dry road & hill & my engine died with the dash reading engine auto shut down,,,I was on a dark road and cars where right behind me. So I took it in they read the codes then told me I needed the Throttle Control/Body replaced and I did, 2 days later it happened again, SAME READINGS, SAME ROUGH IDLING, now they said I need the acceleration control system replaced! That's after I almost lost my life on the highway when the car shut down AGAIN @ 65mph!!! Something has to be done. Please help cause these parts and labor are not cheap and it seems to be a FACTORY MALFUNCTION in these modules.
  • toninetonine Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I drive a 2011 Chevy Impala. I received a text message from a Jamie Green at the dealership last week asking me how my Impala was running. I found this odd since i've had it for 2 years and also highly unprofessional. While I was driving to pick my son up yesterday I was on the highway in the passing lane. I received some service lights suddenly. It said service stabilitrak, service traction control, and engine power is reduced. A short time later my impala just shut down completely in the middle of the highway. I had no powersteering or anything. Luckily no one was behind me. I was able to get it started a short time later. Now all the service lights are off. I took it to the dealership. Paul Cheek from there seems to know what the problem is. He's telling me though there's no recall and no warranty to cover it. Are you kidding me? This is a defect, not normal where and tear. I will not buy another Chevy if this is not fixed at their expense and they don't acknowledge this is a serious problem. In fact I will be joining the law suits being brought against them now.
  • a_ra_r Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 impala LT 104,800 miles same issue took it to 2 shops they can't figure it out. Midas said it was spark plugs and wires the throttle body needed cleaned and needs EVAP canister. Did all of that same problem. The 2nd shop does not know what is causing the issue I am the original owner of this car and I can say that this car has given me more trouble than any car I have owned previously. And those have been older with many more miles. I contacted GM as suggested above and I'm still waiting for a reply.
    Here is what I got from GM:

[THREAD ID:1-LG1OE2]

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your concerns. We're very sorry to hear that you've experienced these issues with your Impala, and we understand the importance of having this resolved. I have researched your VIN and at this time there are no service announcements listed describing the issues you have experienced. Since I am not technically trained, we do rely on the dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field, and trust them to diagnose and repair any present vehicle issues. I understand that you've been working with a mechanic at Midas, but they have been unable to isolate the cause of your concerns. If you are interested in visiting a Chevrolet certified dealership to have your vehicle inspected, we would be more than happy to assist during this process. Since you are outside of your vehicle warranty, you will be responsible for paying the diagnostic fee. Please send us the name of your preferred GM dealership if you would like for us to reach out to them on your behalf.

Regards,

GM Customer Care
    13 fatalities related to the ignition issue and they apologize and say they are working to regain our trust. False corporate appology offered only after people have died. This is the same type of dangerous situation only no fatalities yet so they aren't addressing it. We need to be vocal about this issue on all platforms until they address it and at their cost since they flooded the market with poor quality cars.
  • debbieuredebbieure Member Posts: 4

It was my Throttle Body Assembly and it cost me 500.00 and it took them 2 weeks to even find the part. My car is working ok now. Except now my service air bag light keeps coming on. What next? Not sure how much that is going to cost. I do not think too much of GM right now and I am sorry GM knows about these problems but will not help out with the repairs.

@debbieure said:
    It was my Throttle Body Assembly and it cost me 500.00 and it took them 2 weeks to even find the part. My car is working ok now. Except now my service air bag light keeps coming on. What next? Not sure how much that is going to cost. I do not think too much of GM right now and I am sorry GM knows about these problems but will not help out with the repairs.

debbieure,

I'm happy to hear that this issue with your throttle body assembly was corrected. If you would like for me to document your concerns within our system, please let me know. If you haven't already discussed your service airbag light with the dealership, I can further research this and add this to your file as well. If you'd like to email me your VIN and contact information, please send it to socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please reference your screen name as well.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Thanks for the information I will check into that next. I changed the gas peddle withe position sensor but it did not solve the issue. The car no longer misfires at start up but I still get engine power reduced and all of the other messages.

I was referred at work to someone who knows more about cars and his first question to me was "is it a Chevy?" Good for a laugh but also reveals a sad truth about this company.

But rest assured next time they nearly collapse because they are selling junk the Fed Gov will take more of our tax money to prop them up. It's a win win for GM good cars mean more customers bad cars means more tax payer dollars.
  • debhale2012debhale2012 Member Posts: 1

The same thing happened to me this morning!! My car started beeping...traction light was on...symbol was on...low power was on....my car started jumping and was about to stall I had to pull into a cemetery. It was so scary I was driving along a country road with cars behind me and coming down the hill in the other lane!! I am so upset to see this is something that many have had happened...without any real advance notice. I am having my car towed to the GM dealership...however that is my only vehicle and they don't have a loaner....so now I am out of work until it gets resolved...why is this happening...it could have been a lot worse!!!! It all happened within seconds....I was lucky that I could take a sharp right or else the car would have stopped right there and I would have been slammed into. Bad enough people blared their horns at me for turning without notice...if they only knew the alternative.....it wouldn't have ended well.

Hello debhale2012 ,

We are sorry to hear you experienced these concerns while driving. I am glad to know that you are safe. I'd be happy to look further into this and document your concerns. Please reach out to me via email at socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• cough6609cough6609 Member Posts: 0

My 2010 Impala just past the 70k in mileage and in the past two week the following has occurred:
    1. Drivers side seatbelt light is remaining on
    2. Service air bag light comes every time I start the car
    3. Stabiltrak warning light just starting coming on yesterday
    C'mon GM...WTF???
    I've had 3 Impala's for the last 6 years and the newer model I get the more issues have been coming up...any help out there?

• stargazer419stargazer419 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    I have a 2010 impala that I've had for almost 3 years is at76,660 miles. Kept up with regular maintenance and oil changes and havnt had any problems except the rear window defrost frying itself and needed to be replaced. This week end I was about to leave but after warming up my car it dinged and displayed "reduced engine power" "service stabilitrak" and "check traction control" with the traction control light off dinging, tried driving into town and had no power steering or cruise control then I just lost all power, pulled over and got it restarted so I just turned around and parked at home unhooked battery for a day drove it about ten miles since and no warnings come on but the back end has clicking noises going on now and then. Still under warranty, with another aftermarket warranty as well. going to bring it into my dealership. it sounds like this is happening to many other chevy owners so it might be wise to warn the public that their car might die randomly at any time. VERY DANGEROUS!
    Hi Stargazer419,

I can certainly understand your concerns with the unexpected situation with your Impala, and I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please provide your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership in an email to socialmedia@gm.com? We would be happy to contact the dealership on your behalf and discuss any possible options regarding your vehicle concern. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • bluelucas2080bluelucas2080 Member Posts: 1
    This sould be a reacall, it is a bad problem that should not happen. Someone is going to die because of this
    problem. Stablelink, loss of power,Stabltrax. Something has to be done. Thank you so much.