Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oil Filter Change

geojogeojo Member Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in Toyota
I have a 2012 Highlander with the 2 GR-FE V6 engine. So far.the instructions were after replacing the O rings thighten the filter hand tight. Then to give an extra 1/2 to 1/3 turn the BUT the filter housing was alredy seated on the block. I figured the O ring had slipped to a different grove. I removed the filter but the O ring was in the proper spot. I reinstalled the filter and went by the instructions on the box that said "hand tight and then torque to 9.5 ft lbs. But, I know the filter housing is still tight on the block. (I used all Toyota parts). On our other toyota there were tabs on the filter housing that kept the housing secure.
Did I do the oil filter change right?????

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    There are no locking tabs with the cartridge style filter. The O-rings will seal the cap to the housing. The torque is important, too tight and the cap can be damaged and very difficult to remove, not tight enough and you could end up with a large leak and lose the oil.

Did you use a torque wrench and torque the cap in place or just tighten it? Otherwise there us no way to know if you really did it right or not without seeing first hand what you did. It's not a very complicated procedure but there are mistakes that can be made.
  • Options
    I torqued the filter housing(cap) to 12.5 ft lbs and the filter drain plug to 10 lbs. They say to make it hand tight, when I do the filter, stops turning at the block, and then I torqued it to 12.5lbs.
    Which does not make any sense to me.
    Was this the right way to do it????
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I never used a torque wrench on an oil filter and never had any kind of a problem.

I always got them a little tighter than what they recommended by giving the filter an extra half turn or so. I never had a problem getting them back off either.

I remember the 36 MM rear axle nuts on VW bugs called for some oddball torque number I believe it was 238 Ft. Pounds. Who could afford a torque wrench in those days?

238 pounds is TIGHT so we just made sure we put them on TIGHT and never had a problem!
  • Options
    The oil filter caps are usually a hard plastic, and so are many of the housings. If the assembly is to last the lifetime of the engine getting the torque right every time is critical. It's common to find the caps with the hex damaged and on some models repeated over-torqueing causes the cap to crack under the O-ring. Tight's right, and too tight's broke. These should always be tightened with a torque wrench and the specs are all at 18ft/lb or less.
  • Options
    So, what you are saying is that you turn the filter in until it contacts the engine block and then torque to 18 lbs. I have been changing oil filters for 55 yrs. The newer cars are a little more complicated. My friend brought his highlander back to the dealer at 30K because he could not remove the filter. If you want things done right, you have to do it yourself.

Thanks for the info
  • Options
    geojo said:

My friend brought his highlander back to the dealer at 30K because he could not remove the filter. If you want things done right, you have to do it yourself.

Thanks for the info

Really?

• Options
    saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    can you have the oil changed at jiffy lube or any of the chain oil change places? anything special with the High lander that makes going to the dealer for service important? I typically go to a place where there's no lines - get in and get it done in under an hour for less than $40. Having to drop my car off for the day for an oil change at the dealer is a huge inconveinence.
  • Options
    I avoid the quick change places. They may or may not know what they are doing and they may use cheap filters etc. They will also try to upsell you services which may not be necessary.
  • Options
    saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    isell - you and I've gone round on this topic before and the funny part about your 'up sell' point? what do you think the dealerships do? they will try and sell you services that don't even exist in the car's maintenance schedule. Who's got time to drop a car off at the car dealership that's many miles from work or home?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I do more on my cars than the manual calls for. I don't go overboard but I do tend to over service my cars a bit and I don't mind doing this. A lot of the Quickie Lube places sell "flushes" and items that can cause more harm than good. I would take it to a trusted independent if I didn't want to go to the dealer.

Also, most dealers now have dedicated service bays that do oil changes while you wait.

But, hey, if you've had good luck with the chains, stick with them! Some are much better than others I'm sure.