Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Should SparkPlugs be changed at 40k miles?

basha_manickbasha_manick Member Posts: 12
edited January 2015 in Volkswagen
Hi, i have a 2008 VW Jetta 2.5S with 50k miles. The user manual says to change spark plugs at 40k miles. Since the dealer quoted 350$, i haven't changed yet. The car is running fine. Should i be changing the spark plugs ? If not will it led to other problems?
Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm surprised the manual would call for a 40K spark plug replacement.

With the platinum plugs and clean running engines of today's cars most call for this around 100,000 miles.

I think I would follow the manual but 350.00???

You might check with a highly rated independent.

Maybe someone here knows what's up with VW.
  • Options
    @isellhondas - Yes the dealer quoted 350. Also similar price at pepboys.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I would stick with the dealer even if the chain store charged a bit less. Try an Independent shop (not a chain store) that specializes in VW's.

They must be NASTY to change!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2015
    Hard to believe but the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide confirms that the plugs need to be changed at 40,000 miles.

The guide also suggests that a fair price for the work would be in the neighborhood of $50. The whole 40k service would be around $415 and would include replacing the brake fluid, oil and filter, cabin filter and a bunch of other checks and inspections. Good advice to shop around for an independent VW dealer if you're paying $350 just for the plugs.
  • Options
    yes hard to believe indeed. Just yesterday i called up a few local mechanics and most of them would charge 130$ average for labor!!. And parts + tax is like (15*5 spark plugs= 75 + tax)..I am considering changing it myself if i do not find a mechanic who does it for lesser.