Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

So you have to take your car to the dealer for a recall.

thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
edited January 2015 in General
What are your feelings about them doing an MPI (Multi-Point Inspection) for free or otherwise while your car is at the shop? There are plenty of shop managers who are making it a requirement for the technicians to perform these inspections, (unpaid for the time that they take) in order to of course drive up sales and supposedly offset the poor compensation that the technician as well as the dealership typically get for doing the recall. In the trade you will find two highly opposed perspectives with management and techs who thrive on just doing services on one side (Pro MPI's) and techs who genuinely make their career focus to be fixing the broken cars (Against the practice) on the other. As you consider this shouldn't the techs really be compensated fairly for just attending to your needs in the first place without having to find additional work?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Strange business in some ways. People don't understand (or appreciate) flat rate billing either, especially when it looks like a tech is getting paid for an hour job but because of their training or skill they are able to accomplish the job in 15 minutes.

And then the manufacturers have their own flat rate books for warranty work.

If a tech is working for "free", then you'd think the state wage and hour division would be interested. There must be reams of paperwork out there on this issue.

And where are the class action lawyers?

I like free so if I get a free inspection along with my recall work or oil change that's good. But I also fall victim to the "your bearing is failing and you should fix it now" syndrome. I'm at the shop already and it's a big hassle to go home and research the issue and try to second guess the tech and then bring the car back to the shop. And so I get it fixed, rarely trusting that the tech wasn't just padding the dealer's pocket.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Any time my car is in for service, I expect them to give it the quick once over (and, they do).

I rarely ever think about how the mechanics are compensated, because I have no contact with them (or, very rarely), and it's really none of my concern. Going to an independent shop is different, because I often have contact with the actual mechanic working on my car (and yet, still no interest in how he gets paid).

I do wonder sometimes about the compensation of my local McDonalds worker.. maybe, because I've done that job before, and hope never to do it again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So the next part of this question is how do you react when someone posts (and it's usually presented as happening to wife/daughter) that the dealer said the car needed hundreds of dollars worth of services?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited January 2015
    I have a neighbor who is angry at a local dealer and has trashed them in reviews and refuses to ever buy that brand of car again.

At over 100,000 her SUV blew out a spark plug. Threads and all.

She is upset because she recently had it there for some routine service and "they must not have checked my spark plugs".

They gave her an estimate of something like 5000.00 to fix her SUV which seems out of control unless I'm missing something.

I suggested she look into having a heli coil installed but I know a lot of places think that is a slip shod way to do a repair. Me, I've had them installed twice with good results.

It's funny how some people can't blame misfortune of just bad luck and not on a shop.
  • Options
    Does she have a Ford by chance? It's not an uncommon issue with a couple of the engines and is readily repaired with a tapered insert, like the on es made by the company Timesert. http://www.timesert.com/

Nobody (that really knows what they are doing) "checks" plugs anymore, nor should they. Attempting to check the plugs causes tiny scratches in the porcelain insulator of the spark plug. The high secondary demand voltages that are achieved in today's engines to generate a spark will break down the insulation between the porcelain and the plug boot where the scratches are resulting in a carbon tracking and a misfire which would not have occurred if they had been left undisturbed. That means if you touch them, you need to replace them.
  • Options
    jeremy0711jeremy0711 Member Posts: 2
    How about you just say the spark plugs are buried and no one can even see them anymore. Dealers fault? Who knows. The head could have been stripped out by the builder. It is a small fortune to replace plugs today for some reason. I see it as a scam by the manufacturers to hide the plugs. We had a car that had to have the intake removed to change out the rear plugs. It didn't have to be designed that way. A lot of 90s era cars don't have these issues and most have easy maintenance for basic items. They also got over 31 mpg on a v6.