Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Newest and Oldest - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Volkswagen

imageNewest and Oldest - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

The original GTI debuted for 1983, more than three decades on, how does our 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI compare to the original hot hatch?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I think the 1980 Scirocco S (which shared GTI powertrain that was already available in Europe) was the first hot hatch in the US.

It's actually pretty remarkable that the difference in length is only 13" and 800 lbs.

Spec's for older cars can be hard to find, but best as I can tell, the 1975 Honda Civic Wagon (as a stand in for the sedan that wasn't sold in the US then) had a length/width/WB/weight of 160"/59.3"/89.9"/1,985lbs

The 2015 Civic sedan is 179.4/69/105.1/2,754, so 19" longer, but as with the VW, about 800lbs heavier, which is pretty impressive for both considering all the extra equipment and the much larger wheels and tires.
  • Options
    tlg3tlg3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in reading about highway cruising and in particular - road and wind noise at highway speeds. The GTI's stablemate, the A3, is pretty quiet on the highway, as referenced in a recent Edmunds test - how does the GTI stack up?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Now compare the repair and maintenance costs. I bet that '83 was a fairly affordable car to drive with simple components and an actual bumper that caused $0 damage if you lightly bumped anything. Of course, if it was anything like our 80's cars, it probably felt like it was going to fall apart on the highway.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

Now compare the repair and maintenance costs. I bet that '83 was a fairly affordable car to drive with simple components and an actual bumper that caused $0 damage if you lightly bumped anything. Of course, if it was anything like our 80's cars, it probably felt like it was going to fall apart on the highway.

My experience with maintaining early '80s VWs was anything but affordable.. I think that's why the Japanese brands took off and VW slipped..

But, I do miss those small, lightweight hatchbacks from that era.. I drove an '82 Accord hatch for 12 years... No power steering or A/C...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When I hear "VW Rabbit" I'm always a bit relieved that I switched from my Bugs in the late 70s to Datsun. The first Rabbit I ever saw was at a trailhead - it belonged to the trip leader and it was broken down. Again.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Man, it was fun back in the 80s when small cars were only 2000 lbs. When a buddy of mine wanted to parallel park in a space that was too tight even for his diminutive Civic hatchback, he'd pull the nose in and we'd get out and lift the rear to swing it into place. I remember in high school when a jackass parked his roadster in a handicapped space 8 of us guys picked it up and left it leaning against the brick wall at a 45 degree angle. It was gone 2 hours later when we came back in from practice... not sure how he got it down.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I had a (remarkably) reliable '83 GTI, from new, for 12 years. No significant problems, that entire time.

@bankerdanny - the '80 Scirocco S was just a trim pack with Recaro seats, no special engine. It definitely was not the Euro GTI engine.