Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tire Wear After 25,000 Miles - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in BMW
imageTire Wear After 25,000 Miles - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Tire wear on our long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Those tires look like they might go another 10k miles until you hit the 2/32" wear bars, which would put you at 35k miles. I noticed Pirelli's claim on this tire is 70k miles.

My experience with tires here in the Pittsburgh area is I get about 1/2 of a mfr's tire mileage claim. I was going to make a snarky comment about the easier conditions of sunny CA for tire wear, but it seems you're not doing any better than I would.

Since your long-term cars rarely need to have their tires replaced, any comments on how you'd handle a 70k tire wearing out at 35k miles? I've only once attempted to claim foul on tires that wore out (13k miles vs 65k warranty), and got decent credit toward replacement tires.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    gslippy, I think mfgs overstate the mileage claim as it is a selling point. Very few people actually ask for credit for when they wear out much sooner so the mfg is happy to oblige the few that do.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You guys may be satisfied with the handling and ride, but they get only middling scores in those areas from owners. Making tires with modest performance last a long time is a fairly common trade-off.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    My experience with run flats on my old Mini (2003) was they wore pretty well but were incredibly noisy, and rode hard after about 5K miles.
  • Options
    stevo043stevo043 Member Posts: 3
    gslippy the mileage warranty only applies to the non-run flat version. I worked for a major tire company for 5 years, so I know a little about tires! :) Road conditions, temperature and most importantly how you drive/take care of your vehicle and tires will determine how long your tires will last. Rotating them is very important! desmolicious, you are correct about the mileage warranty being a selling point. I know these tires ride nice and are very quiet - my father has them on his 2001 Toyota Avalon and really likes them. Keep in mind that some run flats cannot be repaired, like a nail puncture for example.

As far as getting a pro-rated credit, the tires CANNOT be original equipment tires. They must be tires you purchased after the OEM have worn out. I tried many mileage claims for OEM tires and each manufacturer denied them because they were OEM tires.