Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for Rumored Apple Car | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in General
imageDon't Hold Your Breath Waiting for Rumored Apple Car | Edmunds.com

Apple may be developing an electric car. But even if it's a real vehicle, it's unlikely to be in dealerships anytime soon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not sure that the ubiquity of iphones translates to anything you decide to make.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Be curious to know what percentage of a typicial car is "made" by an automaker and what percentage is made by suppliers.

I'm pretty sure the Tesla Factory has room for, oh, two or three production lines. :)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    stever said:

Be curious to know what percentage of a typicial car is "made" by an automaker and what percentage is made by suppliers.

I'd bet it's been a long time since an automaker has actually made - be it in a transmission division, bodyworks division, etc. - let's say 75% of the finished product. The phrase "assembled in" comes to mind :)

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So far the Tesla business model doesn't look that attractive---they've been burning money for about 10 years, have not made a profit and have made a total of perhaps 30,000--32,000 cars since inception. Not sure why Apple would want to jump on that.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Keeping up with Google?
  • Options
    zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    They may want to watch calling it an iCar. Might step on BMW's trademark of the "i" brand with the i3 and i8.