Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GTI Generation Spotter Guide - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Volkswagen
imageGTI Generation Spotter Guide - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

For the 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Volkswagen kept the styling pretty similar to the old car. That can make it hard to identify which generation you're looking at.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Your guide is a bit overcomplicated. I think this is easier:

Front: Fog light next to the bumper strakes (mk6) vs. fog light behind the strakes (mk7).
    Side: Discrete yellow parking light on the bumper cover vs. yellow parking light integrated into the headlight cluster.
    Back: Full length white reversing light strip versus truncated strip of white backup light.

Wheels are easily and often swapped, so I would never look at those.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I love the way both generation GTIs look and I especially like the new one, but I've also caught myself seeing a Golf/GTI on the road and not being able to tell if it's a Mk6 or Mk7. I wish VW would've been a little more adventurous with the design. I know, I know, don't fix it if it isn't broken.
  • Options
    fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    The 2010 shown does not have Detroit wheels, those are Hufeisen. Detroits were 17s and painted, Hufeisen were 18s and polished aluminum.
  • Options
    rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    fandsw said:

The 2010 shown does not have Detroit wheels, those are Hufeisen. Detroits were 17s and painted, Hufeisen were 18s and polished aluminum.

I beg to differ @Fandsw http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2010/long-term-road-test/2010-volkswagen-gti-denver-vs-detroit.html
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    fandsw said:

Wrong. The 17s were Denvers; those are Detroits
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    From the front, the hood and fenders are an easy tell. The Mk6 is much more rounded with a 'valley' whereas the Mk7 has a new sharp crease with a 'peak.'
  • Options
    ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    I have to laugh at anyone who tries to argue that these are easy to tell apart. For any non-VW fan (which is most folks), the 2014 and 2015 look basically identical.

I am sure there will be huge disagreement on this point, but I think the Golf styling has really hit a dead end, and VW should try something a little bolder next time around.
  • Options
    sinna46sinna46 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2013 Tornado Red 4 door with the Laguna wheels. I have had several people ask me if it was a 2015 or MK7 after they were released, so obviously if you are not in the loop on the differences they are not easy to spot.

BTW I like the Laguna style much better than any of the blocky 5 spoke wheels.
  • Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    EK900, VW has never really made a radical change. Just like the Japanese, every change is incremental. They don't want to break the mold, unless absolutely necessary.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the new GTI. Minor cosmetics, new longer/lower platform, reduced weight and MORE POWER. I'm torn between buying a GTI with an APR tune or a Golf R.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    The new one just jumps out at me, when I see one. The angle of the A-Pillar, where it meets the hood line seems a lot different than the last one..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator