Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Lights and Headlights

eedlereedler Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Volvo
Hello everyone,
The headlight lenses on my 06' XC90 have developed many scratches and a pitting (almost a mild sand-blast effect) in some spots and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I have not had the car into brush or anything else that I can think of that would cause this and I don't see any other cars here with this problem.
Volvo says that each lens would cost $1000 to replace so I'd appreciate any ideas or fixes.
Thanks

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    There are products on the market to restore headlight lenses. I suggest going that route and then getting clear film put on to protect them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some product suggestions and techniques listed in the Healing Hazy Headlamps guide.
  • californiadoncaliforniadon Member Posts: 2
    I keep getting this yellow triangle on my dash, stating healight failure code. The lights are working and bulbs have been replaced a few times (Bi-xeon).

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • dpw1dpw1 Member Posts: 3
    Seems to be a common problem - I just got it too.. might be a service bulletin on this - any luck with dealer etc
  • mrowmrow Member Posts: 1
    I had my left headlight go out and then a month later my right one went out. I took it to the Dealer for repair. At that time my mileage had just turned over to 50,400. First they told me my car was no longer in warranty for this problem. The warranty expired at 50,000 AND IT AS GOING TO COST ME $1200.00 TO FIX THE PROBLEM. After a little discussion where I informed them that I have read on numerous BLOGS that alot of XC90's were having this problem and also that my car had just turned over 50,000. He went and spoke to someone and all of a sudden they seemed to find out that there was a repair kit for this problem and it did not cost me a penny. It was the headlight holsters they had to replace. If you need the part number I can look on the repair and get for you. GOOD LUCK
  • carldamiancarldamian Member Posts: 1
    The headlights on my 2005 XC90 is like an intermittent light show. Sometimes they work fine, then they intermittently (left & right) go on & off. Left off...left on, Right off, right on, you never know what or when to expect the failure. Any ideas out there?
  • gabrielbarbugabrielbarbu Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Hy. Headlights XC90 goes out..
    Seems to be a common problem - I just got it too.. Most of the time after I start the engine my left headlight goes out after 5 sec. Can you please tell me the part number so I can order the repair kit without facing the same problem like you with the Volvo dealer. Many thanks.
  • pageantmompageantmom Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my pre-owned 2006 xc90 two months ago and am having problems with my right headlight, it also requested to replace low beam headlight and after having done so,a week later the it is requesting to replace the light again, but lights up then shuts itself off from time to time. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at, now I know what to say. If any thing please list the name of kit. I read they are waiting for it to become a recall yet it hasn't happened.
  • luv2skiluv2ski Member Posts: 2
    Did you get this fixed? Interested in what the fix was; part #, etc.
    I did actually, I was told the socket needed to be replaced along with the bulb, which I had just purchased by the way, and they charged me $113.00. I was just glad it was repaired and they didn't charge me more than that. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • brmombrmom Member Posts: 1
    My volvo xc90 has for 6+ months now intermittently displayed a warning with a "low beam bulb failure" message. However, each time I ask a mechanic to check this out, I am told that all the lights are working just fine. A few weeks ago, while driving at night and trying to use my high beams (the only time I actually turn on my headlights to operate even my low beams), all the lights (even the dash lights) went out, and I was left in complete darkness until I hurriedly switched my lights back to "off" mode (just daytime running lights). Very scary and dangerous, especially when it happened on the highway and I was driving at highway speed!Then just the daytime running lights came on, but I could not use my low or high beams. This has happened consistently every time I tried turning on the headlights at night and using the high beams. When I took the car into the dealer last Friday and mentioned the similar defect problem with 2004/2005 xc90s being investigated by the NHTSA and Volvo, the dealer claimed no knowledge of the problem, stating that no formal recall has been issued by Volvo. In the end, it cost me over $1,200 to have both left and right Xenon ballast controls replaced and the left Xenon bulb replaced.

My question: Is this related to the electronic control problems others have had? Could my problem have been resolved by replacing the electronic control system for the lights, or is the ballast control the same thing?
  • trparkcitytrparkcity Member Posts: 9
    HI, Can you provide us the kit name or part number? Thanks!
  • trparkcitytrparkcity Member Posts: 9
    " I was told the socket needed to be replaced along with the bulb, which I had just purchased by the way, and they charged me $113.00"

Hi pageeantmom, Do you have the part #?

Thanks!
  • chtibchtib Member Posts: 1
    My left headlight on '04 XC90 has this intermittent problem too. Replaced the bulb, still no fix. Can turn headlight off, then back on and ok. Hard to tell from this chain, but Is there a solution? Thanks so much
    Sorry, all I know is that I took it in to the Volvo center, explained my problem, they told me it was a faulty socket that needed to be replaced along with the bulb and it corrected the problem. I had read online somewhere of other owners with the same issue who have complained and has requested it to be a recall due to all the complaints but it has not been issued as a recall as of now. Someone on this forum mentioned that there is a kit of some sort that was made to correct this problem, yet I do not know what that kit is.
  • ohnotagainohnotagain Member Posts: 1
    Could you please let me know about the repair kit. We have had same longterm issue!
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    My right front headlight seemingly randomly turns off (and I get a yellow warning light on the dash). I turn the switch off and back on and it is fine... for a few days... or a few seconds. It is unpredictable.

I can't believe it is the bulb. Could it be the switch? Wiring? Any suggestions so the repair guy doesn't rip me off?

It is a 2004 XC90 with HID factory lights
  • ycats23ycats23 Member Posts: 1
    left headlite wont work cked fuse relays nothin ? help
  • wavytopwavytop Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 XC90. My left headlamp (lowbeam) went out, I went in to my Volvo dealer to have it replaced ($150 part) but then it went out again the next day. I returned to the dealership, they diagnosed a faulty baffle. Replaced that (about $600, I think, and they threw in the headlamp.)
    So I recommend asking about the baffle.
  • jpacigajpaciga Member Posts: 1
    My wifes XC90 high beams are not working. I did the normal, changed with new bulbs, and no I did not touch the glass, all of the fuses are good. Is there a headlight relay or some other thing to check. I did change the ballasts and HID Xenon bulbs on the low beams and they are working fine. Anyone got any advice?
  • kelly88kelly88 Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same problem with my Volvo XC90 Did replacing the Faulty baffle work?
  • leeb1023leeb1023 Member Posts: 2
    Our '04 XC90 air conditioner, just cuts off randomly. If we pull over, turn the car off for 5 mins or so, sometimes it comes back on. It is super cold when it is on, and we know it is not the freon.
    Any help? Thanks :cry:
  • leeb1023leeb1023 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2004 XC90 drivers side headlight goes off randomly. SOmetimes it comes back on. We have a bulb failure message on ALL the time - even when the headlight is back on. Now it is off for the last week. We have already replaced the bulb, which is super expensive. Any help?

Thanks. :lemon:
  • jrsamplesjrsamples Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully you are still following this blog.
    Try looking on Tmart.com and search D2R Xenon Bulbs.
    These are the type for a 2004 XC90 of which I have.
    I am currently experiencing headlight problems of my own.
    Replaced a bulb purchased from Tmart last and has now failed and now getting the dreaded Low Beam Bulb Failure message.
    2004 XC90 only have one main headlamp bulb as serves both the low and high beam function as the headlight bucket rotates slightly upwards to provide the high beam function.

Hope this helps all who read.
  • bholgatebholgate Member Posts: 1
    Wow, seem the XC90 Randomly on and off headlights issues lingers about several Volvo Forums. I too have the same issues with on and off, left to right headlamps going on and off, I replace every low and high lamps, check fuses and even replace the light switch at the dashboard, and this still doesn't fix the problem. Sypmtoms are, Turn the car on, 5 min latter Lights start flikering and then shut off, I can turn the switch back and for and it will stay on for only seconds and then shut off, sometime it just shuts off completely and I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on, only to go through the same routine. It almost seems like an overheat a circuit issue??I'm now reaching out to all the Volvo owners with the same problem and see if someone has found a solution that doesn't required financing the part from the Dealer. I've seen a few suggestion; Kits, Baffles, Sockets has anyone found a solution?
  • a10tive1a10tive1 Member Posts: 2
    Bholegate, that helps -- thanks for posting about the SWITCH. I was sure the problem with my '04 XC90 headlights was the switch, but now I'll have to look further. I can't understand why, with so many people having this problem, a solution has not yet been posted.
  • a10tive1a10tive1 Member Posts: 2
    Found a solution for my intermittent headlights. I have an '04 XC90 with Xenon headlights. The problem with BOTH left and right lamps was the BALLASTS. Not the bulbs, not the fuses, relays, wiring or switch, but the ballasts. These are super easy to replace, as they are mounted very accessibly on the bottom of the headlight unit. I purchased a couple online for $100 each, installed them in 15 minutes, and now that very frustrating problem is solved.
  • leftcoasttomleftcoasttom Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2004 XC90 2.5T new.We now have 220,000 miles on it. At 100,000 miles the left headlight went out, and at the time the dealer was the only source for a new ballast, which is the unit that controls the Xenon HID lights. It cost $495 for the part, and took me about 5 minutes to install. Worked fine for 115,000 more miles, then the right headlight went out a few months ago. The ballast needed replacement, but my local auto parts store said there are aftermarket suppliers. I bought the part for $200, and it's the exact same French manufacturer and part that I paid $495 for when the left headlight went out 5 years earlier. Replaced it and the light worked fine. In the meantime, I kept getting a message for "BULB FAILURE, POSITION LIGHT" along with the little yellow triangle on the dash. Checked all of the bulbs for the position lights and they were all in working order. Then last night we went out for dinner, and when I turned the car on to drive home, had no headlights with "Multiple Bulb Failure" message. Couldn't get the headlights to come on. Turned on the fog lights, and the message went away, and the fog lights work fine. No headlights. Any suggestions? No local Volvo dealer here, and my Volvo repair guys aren't open until Monday.
  • curveball70curveball70 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 04 XC90 with 124,000 miles, Everything worked free of any issues, then my low beams wouldn't come on. The warning of multiple bulbs out, I took it to a service mechanic and he couldn't figure out what the issues was. I have since replaced all the bulbs, fuses and nothing. I would appreciate any advice as what could be the issue before taking it to a High Priced Volvo Repair.. I really enjoy my SUV, But!.. Thanks for any info reguarding my problem.. Tampa, Fla