Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vibration issue with 2015 Honda CR-V

2»

Comments

• g_friebergg_frieberg Member Posts: 28
    I am continuing to drive my '15 CRV EX, and am definitely experiencing some drivetrain vibes. They are noticeable most prominently in the steering wheel, floorpan, and seatback.
    As reported by others, while under load, when the RPM's are transitioning through the 2000 RPM area, the vibration is very pronounced (almost feels like a shudder going over a rumble strip). As I mentioned before, at low speed, when accelerating while doing mostly in-town driving, the powertrain has a low frequency vibe that feels like a manual transmission when the engine is lugged (RPM's too LOW for a given speed). I suspect Honda has done all of this low speed calibration (i.e. lower RPM's) to get the fuel economy up. If you CANNOT tolerate this type of vibe, do NOT buy this car. Check out the Subaru (particularly the flat-six) with CVT...the only smooth CVT vehicle I've yet driven. Honda, as already stated by Consumer Reports, has marched FORWARD on ergonomics and interior and safety, but definitely a step BACKWARD on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), at least with this vehicle. I bought this car for 1) fuel economy on longer trips, and 2) Honda reputation for reliability. The fuel economy thus far is great. The reliability of this '15 CRV remains to be seen.
    A vibration verification test a potential buyer can do, and I highly recommend doing it.
    1) Get the 2015 CRV warmed up
    2) Put the car's emergency brake ON
    3) Place the car in DRIVE
    4) pop the hood and place your hand on TOP of the engine's valve cover
    5) you will find it dancing around in its rubber engine mounts, and if you leave your hand on there for very long, it will start to tingle with numbness. This energy, IMO, is then transferred, via the transmission (engaged in drive), to the steering column, seat, and floor pan of the car.

Therefore, I believe that the ENGINE is the source of most of the driveline vibrations in this car.In my recently purchased 2015 CRV, when I put the car into neutral, idling, whether accessories are on OR off, the vibrations become much less apparent. It appears that this Atkinson engine is an innate vibrator, and Honda has not yet figured out how to place the engine in this car without transmitting this NVH to the driver. It's a shame, as otherwise the car is much improved over the '13 and '14 models I drove (i.e. used ones). Caveat emptor: buyer beware. The 14 model was not "perfect" (no car is), but it did NOT have this shake at idle problem. For those of you commuting short term, and need a comfortable "in town" car, I'd steer clear of this CRV until/unless Honda engineers a fix (highly doubtful, short of major engine re-balancing).
  • skuitemsskuitems Member Posts: 2
    blabla1 said:

All,

There is A BIG issue with vibration with new Honda CRV 2015. The issue kills new car experience. I am even worried that we are stuck with the issue. When you stop at stop light and car is in drive you will notice vibration and it will continue until you drive again. This is very noticeable even in the back seat! I hope there is fix for it. Everyone who has bought the car (including me) has complained about it.

• skuitemsskuitems Member Posts: 2
    My wife found if you leave fan blower on there is no vibration. Don't ask me how they are connected. Soon as she turned fan off you felt vibration while idling.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Varying electrical loads could result in the PCM commanding a different idle speed.
    Here is a Honda video (Youtube) of vibration issues (that Honda is well aware of !)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6K6JPh7zak
  • purple43purple43 Member Posts: 10
    Honda has just released a YouTube video acknowledging the vibration issue on 2015 CR-Vs. They are working on it and will follow up with info when they figure it out. Fingers crossed! We have this vehicle and vibrations in the steering wheel and seats make the driving extremely unsatisfying.
    I think the fix will be incorporated into the 2016 CRV. Not sure they can do much with the 2015 model, unless they give us new owners a "trade in" voucher of some kind to allow us to buy a 2016 model at a "discount" (i.e. which would still represent a loss for us...but ultimately a win-win for Honda. There is no "free lunch" for new car buyers who get into a defective product: witness Corvair, Ford Explorer, Millions of Chevies with defective ignition keys, etc.. The auto maker always trumps the owner. That is how it all works. Let's hope we can get away with one year depreciation (instead of 2 or 3), after one year of ownership. That would be great, considering the debacle that Honda has knowingly bestowed upon us.
    Agreed. The fix or attempted fix will certainly be interesting to see. If the issue indeed relates to an inherently shaky Atkinson engine design and computer-controlled engine mounts (about which someone else posted), the whole thing sounds dicey to me. My confidence in Honda engineering is pretty damaged right now. If, per your thought, Honda came up with a discount voucher offer for a 2016, I wonder what they would do with the traded-in 2015s? Who would want one?
    I am speculating, of course. Maybe Honda could unload the 2015's in another country, and recover some of their losses. ??
    I would encourage anyone posting here in the discussions area to also post a complete review of their 2015
    CR-V in the Edmunds "Consumer Reviews" section elsewhere on this site. This will help spread the word (and pressure Honda) to help us get the best possible solution.

Consider also:
    . Help build awareness of the YouTube video Honda posted on April 7 by sending the link to your social contacts
    , Add your comments below that video.

Today I took our CR-V to our dealer. They are aware of the issue (sent me the Honda video link). They are doing a no-cost inspection and will send my service file note and their observations to Honda as part of the international data collection task.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    purple43 said:

I would encourage anyone posting here in the discussions area to also post a complete review of their 2015 CR-V in the Edmunds "Consumer Reviews" section elsewhere on this site.

Here's the link.
    Correction: it is not an Atkinson engine design..
    Looks like Edmunds is now pulling posts on this thread.
    I think the odds of a really complete "fix" to the 2015 are slim. But, to bring hope, maybe a combination of new engine mounts, plus new programming, will help. My big concern is DEPRECIATION on this model year...2015...already going down as a huge FUBAR by Honda.
    edited April 2015

Looks like Edmunds is now pulling posts on this thread.

Sometimes posts get "lost in the ether" but posts don't get pulled unless they violate the Membership Agreement somehow (language, spam, etc.). If you lose a post shoot an email to a moderator or use the Help link at the bottom of the page and we'll be happy to investigate.

Sure thing....I am sure those posts got "lost in the ether"....digital age and all... ;-)
    edited April 2015
    I usually see it over in Edmunds Answers - someone will log in and post but nothing will show up. At least they get an empty box. I wonder if there was a handoff between cell towers or something wifi related when that happens (although I never have that issue myself hotspotting here while cruising down the highway). We get the occasional complaint like yours in the rest of the forums too, but it doesn't happen often enough to pin it down to anything.

Sometimes you can go back in your browser and "recover" your text, and then copy it and try pasting in a new posting box.
    I encourage ANY potential 2105 CRV buyers to thoroughly read the thread, on crvownersclub.com, concerning"vibration at idle". You will get a huge amount of useful testimony on the nature of this problem. I also encourage you to register at that site, allowing you to make inquiries and ask questions. PLEASE become informed PRIOR to making a purchase of this vehicle.
  • just_loujust_lou Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2015
    Knock on wood, but my month old 2015 CR-V EX AWD doesn't have any vibrations at all. It hard to even tell the engine is running.
  • jimbo65jimbo65 Member Posts: 65
    just_lou said:

Knock on wood, but my month old 2015 CR-V EX AWD doesn't have any vibrations at all. It hard to even tell the engine is running.

Ours purchased January 3rd and now at 3,000 miles is performing perfectly! A true joy to drive. I'm betting there are more satisfied 2015 Honda CRV drivers than not, and that majority are having too much fun to take time out and report that fact. Cheers!
    2015 CR-V EX-L 2WD = One Sweet Ride :p
    Some owners are not experiencing vibration and shudder problems. I am HAPPY for them. For those that are NOT and are experiencing shudder, vibrations, and increased NVH: please consider checking out this Honda owner's link. If you do NOT yet own a 2015 CRV, please first peruse this site, and read the over 1000 comments (and increasing day by day):

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle-146.html#post502290

Some owners are not experiencing vibration and shudder problems. I am HAPPY for them. For those that are NOT and are experiencing shudder, vibrations, and increased NVH: please consider checking out this Honda owner's link. If you do NOT yet own a 2015 CRV, please first peruse this site, and read the over 1000 comments (and increasing day by day):

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle-146.html#post502290

1000 posts, mostly made by the same dozen people over and over and over again.
    jimbo65 said:

just_lou said:

Ours purchased January 3rd and now at 3,000 miles is performing perfectly! A true joy to drive. I'm betting there are more satisfied 2015 Honda CRV drivers than not, and that majority are having too much fun to take time out and report that fact. Cheers!
    I'm curious. Do you know when your CRV was manufactured? Mine was fresh from Canada, and manufactured in March 2015. Maybe the newer 2015's have had some "tweaks" done to them.
    My CRV was made in E. Liberty, Ohio in Feb. 2015. The dealer has acknowledged that it indeed has "problematic" vibration issues, not only at idle, but in the infamous 1200 and 2000 RPM bands, already being acknowledged by Honda in their communications. It is indeed a real issue, and will have to be dealt with. I am happy for those lucky enough to get a CRV that does NOT shake, shudder, vibrate. It is indeed a beautiful car. If Honda can get these defects worked out....that remains to be seen. We shall see.
    just_lou said:

jimbo65 said:

just_lou said:

I'm curious. Do you know when your CRV was manufactured? Mine was fresh from Canada, and manufactured in March 2015. Maybe the newer 2015's have had some "tweaks" done to them.
    12/2014 Ohio.
    jimbo65 said:

just_lou said:

jimbo65 said:

just_lou said:

12/2014 Ohio.
    Well there goes that theory. It's weird that apparently only a small percentage of people have the issue.
    edited May 2015
    just_lou said:

jimbo65 said:

just_lou said:

Mfg. December 2014, in East Liberty Ohio. One Sweet Ride! Now over 3,000 miles and mpg reached 36.2 highway. Excellent set of wheels and happy we made the purchase. Love it. : )
  • average_joe_azaverage_joe_az Member Posts: 6
    Not sure if it is true but this forum has someone talking that Honda has released a fix for the vibration issue :)

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle-162.html
  • jdubyajdubya Member Posts: 4
  • sjeonaiasjeonaia Member Posts: 2
    I have same CRV vibration issue with my 2 weeks new CRV( Year 2015, EXL AWD).
    It is a shame ; this problem was noticed by Honda and still selling without any notice.

Honda Vs. little comstomer like me...what should I do? I do not expect this irritation isuues with my brand new spending of $30,000.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    sjeonaia said:

I have same CRV vibration issue with my 2 weeks new CRV( Year 2015, EXL AWD).
    It is a shame ; this problem was noticed by Honda and still selling without any notice.

What is the build date of your CRV?
    The build date is printed on the sticker on the driver side door jamb. It is in this format: month/year.
  • dougal99dougal99 Member Posts: 19
    I'm considering buying one of the CRV, Rav4, CX-5 and Rogue so I took a CRV for a test drive today and to my disappointment sure enough there was the vibration when I was idling at a red light. It's idling almost like a diesel engine. It's enough to put me off buying one until they have fixed the issue. Pity since I loved everything else about the car.
    ...update: now at 7,795 miles on the odometer and almost 10 months old and all is well. No issues at all. Period. Our new '15 CRV is still a joy to drive. Gas mileage in mixed driving continues to be 32-36 mpg. An all day drive into southern Illinois and back home netted 39 mpg and this was with some hills and a number of stops along the way and also with the AC on. Really. I drive the posted speed limit, careful acceleration, anticipate braking, and use a top tier gasoline of 87 octane. Honda quality prevails in all areas. Sorry some have issues (hope they are corrected), but the majority of owners do not. Cheers!
  • jackw16_florjackw16_flor Member Posts: 1
    My Certified Pre-Owned 2014 CR-V, purchased with 17,000 miles, has a vibration at highway speeds. I haven't noticed it much in city driving, but on two 1100 mile trips, under various road conditions, I experience the vibration. I had the tires balanced and rotated between the two trips, with no noticeable improvement. My car appears to have been built in Canada, December 2013. Obviously, the 2015 models, as admitted by Honda, have a problem. I'm thinking the problem is older than that. Certainly never had this experience with the 2003 we traded.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if indeed the vibration is caused by the piston-to-cylinder offset, then it's not going to be corrected at the dealership level.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2016
    If you are 35 or under and recently bought a new Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or similar vehicle to transport your young family, a reporter would like to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, January 7, 2016 and include your age, the age of your children and a few words about your vehicle choice.
  • hondablue2015hondablue2015 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2015 CRV Touring that suffered from the vibration issues. There are 3 stages to the fix. Honda completed all three that include software updates, transmission mounts, radiator mounts and tailgate dampers. The net effect is a TOTALLY transformed CRV. Vibration and drumming noise gone. CRV is much more responsive to acceleration at lower speeds. Gas mileage, despite stage 2 fix that suggests reduction, has improved. I have 21,000 miles on my CRV. Honda has stepped up and fixed the problem. Completely satisfied with the result.
    Good to hear - thanks for the report!
  • ejshep1ejshep1 Member Posts: 1
    I have mae several reviews since I purchased this vehicle in May 2015. I have now have had the car in many times to several different locations to try and correct. They have ran the software twice, they took the car apart, broke the lock on my truck, had the car 3 full days one time. Since then milegae has went down from 30 to 25 mpg, now has a strange hum sound first thing in the morning and going up or down hills, ripples when I back out of my garage in the morning as though I am on rough pavement so essentially it has more issues than before. If I am parked outside in bitter cold weather, it barely starts. I feel like I am driving a used vehicle with issues and have even suspected it had many more miles than (200) when I bought it, perhaps had the miles turned back by a professional?) . The smell in the car, the texture of the seats, the winows inside had a film unlike a new car, charger was not working, are some reasons why.
    Every time I pick it up, they say they cannot duplicate the complaints. I had an indepenent reputable service location tell me that it has issues that will only get worse with time an that I should get a lawyer...which I do not have MORE money to lose on that since attorneys don't want to screw with Honda.
    I tried to sell straight out, the vibration killed the deal immediately...car dealers don't want to give me much for trade in even though they have several on their lot with price way above.
    Honda has NEVER tried to help or shown that they even care. I regret ever going with them. I am semi retire an have no money to get another car. I saved for two years to get this one. This is a pity party review but I feel so beat up and stressed from Honda that I am just tired of it. I am very ashamded of this car and I find so many people going through it as well. Never again will I do this..and dont kid yourselves out there..Honda sucks!
  • dennis6dennis6 Member Posts: 6
    2015 Honda CRV Touring, a great car. Vibration issue I've learned to live with. Lack of a protection plate under the engine/transmission worries me in difficult terrain. 2014 model was ahead in that regard.