Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help me choose an SUV

drjay9051drjay9051 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in General
Need an SUV for my kayaking, mountain biking etc. Little if any off road but 4x4 a plus.

I may use this to commute from time to time (60 mile roundtrip) so comfort is an issue or I'd just get an old Wrangler.

Anyway not looking for a family type vehicle rather something more sporty.

I prefer the Wrangler look to the Cherokee but too small for me. I will be mounting roof rack for kayaks.

Any thoughts? FJ Cruiser? X Terra? Love the Land Rover but way too expensive.

Im looking for a CPO vehicle in the mid 20's price range.

So many choices it is a bit daunting. I do not want to test drive 10 different models so i am askingfor a starting point from you more experienced people.

Thanks

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    drjay9051 said:

Need an SUV for my kayaking, mountain biking etc. Little if any off road but 4x4 a plus.

I may use this to commute from time to time (60 mile roundtrip) so comfort is an issue or I'd just get an old Wrangler.

Anyway not looking for a family type vehicle rather something more sporty.

I prefer the Wrangler look to the Cherokee but too small for me. I will be mounting roof rack for kayaks.

Any thoughts? FJ Cruiser? X Terra? Love the Land Rover but way too expensive.

Im looking for a CPO vehicle in the mid 20's price range.

So many choices it is a bit daunting. I do not want to test drive 10 different models so i am askingfor a starting point from you more experienced people.

Thanks

The FJ and the X-Terra are more off-road oriented and may ride rougher than other SUV's.

I think most any SUV or CUV has the ability to mount roof racks for sporting equipment. You might consider a Subaru - you could get a new Forester for the $25,000 price point you mention.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, definitely. A number of Subaru vehicles would fit your needs there. If you want sporty + SUVish, look for an XT (such as Forester or MY2005 through MY2009 Outback) - there are a number of nice ones out there. A bit different, but even a WRX could fit your needs well (and it would be much, MUCH easier to load that roof rack than on a vehicle that sits tall like an FJ) and check that "sporty" box better than is reasonable (seriously, wipe that grin off your face; it's been two hours! :P).

Other vehicles, perhaps a little less traditional: Have you considered a Flex? You could probably get a MY11 Limited Ecoboost unit for mid-20s. They have a pretty engaging drive, very comfortable, tons of space for stuff or people, and, again, an easy-to-access roof. They also have decent towing capacity at about 5K# if you needed it, and not horrible mileage for a large vehicle (likely on par if not better than those Jeeps/Toys/Nissans you mentioned).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    What about the new Jeep Renegade?

You didn't mention exactly how big this needs to be.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A minivan is the ticket. :-)

My other boating rig was an Outback, but the bikes just roll into my van.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I like the Xterra; the PRO-4X is pretty well equipped.
    That said, I have a 1999 Wrangler that I sometimes use as my DD. It's really not that bad as far as ride goes, although the convertible top is a bit noisy...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    FJ Cruiser is great! But if I had the money, I would definitely buy a Land Rover.