Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steering wheel binding up hard enough to shift out of gear while turning?

scpodragoscpodrago Member Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Dodge
Lately my steering starts to bind up really tight and not only does it make it hard to steer and makes alot of squeeking but it will actually shift the truck in to N or 2 depending on if I take a left or right turn. I"m pretty sure it's a bushing of some sort in the column by the shifting mech, but sure and it's to the point where I cannot drive it. Any one have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wonder if you've busted a motor mount or transmission mount and the entire unit is shifting around.
  • Options
    scpodragoscpodrago Member Posts: 2
    check them. That was what I thought too, but everything is straight and good with the drive train. Looking at pictures on line and in manuals. I think it's a bushing that goes by the shifting mech. However I have only been able to find that you have to replace the whole steering column that you cannot get just the bushing. that seems to be pretty $$$ if all the posts are true. Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it.