Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

94 Trooper lift kit and new tires.

94trooperguy94trooperguy Member Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in Isuzu
Hey guys I a bit of a newbie so go easy on me here's my situation Im a highschool senior an I recently got passed down my dads 94 trooper Ls that he he had bought new and I very much want to make it mine with some mods. Currently it's sitting on stock 16" wheels and I want to raise it up I've been going hunting and want something I can take off the road a bit but not destroy my truck also I'm in highschool so mu budget isn't hudge. I did some research and am looking at either a complete suspension lift or a body lift , I'm leaning toward to body lift because it seems easier,cheaper,an less of a headache (I will be doing any work on the truck my self ) since Im already comfortable with the trucks suspension and off-road capabilities could you recommend me some body lift kits (3in body lift kit ) also with a 3in body lift what are the biggest tires I could fit on it I'm currently looking at around 305-315 and getting bigger wheels . Any help would be great I still got a lot to learn thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    First, the project is not something you can do without a lot of research - and this website is NOT the place to do that research. Find one that specializes in your vehicle.

Second, I am not a fan of lift kits. Not only does the center of gravity go higher - making the vehicle more prone to rollover - but is also screws up the suspension geometry. You need to be very careful that the reasons you want to do this has to do with off road capability and not looking cool.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    While the Trooper can be a durable vehicle it does have some weak spots that most wouldn't realize. The strength of the lug studs and nuts are actually well below the average vehicle and it was common to see them fail from over tightening. The torque specification is 87ft/lb and even that starts to pull the threads on them over time. The moment that you try to go to bigger wheels and tires the stress on the nuts and studs increases beyond what they were designed to tolerate.
  • Options
    Could I replace the lug studs &units to something stronger ? 
  • Options
    nuts*
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A body lift increases your tire clearance but not your ground clearance; also there can be tricky bits to a body lift, like extending the steering column and fuel filler hoses.

I agree, you need to go to a specialized off-roading website or forum and do plenty of homework before you start anything.
  • Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated :)