Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ac problem

oflores713oflores713 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Chevrolet
HeLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 06 IMPALA AC. SOMETIMES BUT OFTEN, WHEN I HAVE CAR TURNED ON BUT ON PARK OR AT A LIGHT, OR STOP SIGN MY AC STOPS BLOWING COLD AIR AND HOT AIR COMES OUT, AND THE LIGHT FOR AC TURNS OFF AND WHEN I PRESS BUTTON TO TURN ON AC ALL IT DOES IT BLINKS LIKE 2 OR 3 TIMES AND AC DON'T TURN ON, SOMETIMES IT DOES. BUT AC STAYS ON OR BLOWS COLD AIR ONLY WHEN I RUN THE CAR. WHAT COULD BE MY PROBLEM, PLS HELP. HAVE A 1 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND THIS AC PROBLEM IS WORRYING ME MOSTLY BECAUSE OF BABY, BECAUSE AC TURNS OFF RANDOMLY WHEN CAR IS AT PARK SHIFT OR WHEN I'M AT STOP SIGN OR LIGHT.

Answers

• Options
    rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76
    Vacuum leak. Open the hood and look for long, black, skinny, rubber tubes the snake in and around the top and sides of your engine.

CHECK THAT NONE OF THEM HAVE COME LOOSE AT THE ENDS. THEY SHOULD ALL BE PLUGGED INTO A NIPPLE OF SOME SORT EITHER ON THE ENGINE OR ON THE FIREWALL ( engine compartment side of your DASHBOARD)
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,751
    The AC system is all electronic, no vacuum controls at all. Diagnostics are done by connecting a scan tool, pulling codes and then analyzing live data as well as using bi-directional controls from the scan tool. Since it stops cooling at idle, one possibility would be that the engine cooling fan isn't working, or drawing enough air through the condenser and radiator. That's about all I can tell you without any testing to get a sense of direction.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes cooling fan is definitely a possibility---something is causing the system to shut down, so checking pressures in the AC system with a manifold gauge would also be a good step if the scan tool doesn't show much.