Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rough running, blowing white smoke. 5.9 turbo diesel.

gamblin9511gamblin9511 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Dodge
driving home from the store this morning i turned a corner and my truck started running rough and blowing white smoke out the exhaust. i was able to make it home about 2 miles.it was idling rough and when i stepped on the accelerator it blew a huge cloud out the exhaust.i went to the tail pipe and the smoke cloud and it was fuel. i shut the truck off and started it about 5 minutes later and it "s perfect. no miss no smoke. it's got 210,000 and has always been maintained very well. it's been a great truck for the 7 years i've had it.i bought it in Texas with 165,000 miles on it.I live in Ohio.i'm baffeled. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    draconissdraconiss Member Posts: 2
    Whens the last time the fuel filter was changed...had this problem myself...pulled old filter, vac out the filter housing, install new filter....turn key on count to 5 turn off, repeat 7 times, this will prime the filter housing again....this fixed my white smoke issue.
  • Options
    gamblin9511gamblin9511 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply. new air and fuel filter 1 week before. happened again a few weeks later.turns out the lift pump took a dump. i replaced the lift pump with a FASS 2 and it was great for a week untill the injection pump went out. (common on these vehicles). took it to the shop and it will be ready today.
    (Had I stopped when the problem 1st started I probably wouldn't have damaged the vp44 injection pump) they overheat quickly when starved for fuel. lesson learned.thanks again.gamblin9511