Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Too much transmission fluid?

bpro17bpro17 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Subaru
I just drained and filled my transmission fluid and replaced the filter. My first time doing it myself. I measured the amount of fluid that came out and it came to just under 6 quarts. I started refilling it and so far I've put a little over 5 quarts in. I figured I'd check the dipstick as i got close to the amount and add more little by little until it's at the full line. The dipstick is showing fluid well above the full line (about 2 inches above). Is that normal when it's just been filled? Should I run it for a few minutes and check it again? 

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    You should use the correct procedure to check fluid level (and it can vary)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2015
    Yes, thank you Ray80 for mentioning that. Very important! Here's the procedure.

INSPECTION

NOTE: The level of ATF varies with fluid temperature. Pay attention to the ATF temperature when checking ATF level.

Raise the ATF temperature by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles). Otherwise, idle the engine to raise ATF temperature to 70-80°C (158-176°F) on Subaru Select Monitor.
    Park the vehicle on a level surface.

After selecting all positions (P, R, N, D), set the select lever in P range. Measure the ATF level with engine idling for one or two minutes.
    Make sure that ATF level is between the upper level and lower level at HOT side.
    If the ATF level is below the lower level, replenish recommended ATF to bring the fluid level between the upper level and lower level.
    CAUTION:
    Use care not to exceed the upper limit level.
    Be aware that the replenishment of ATF to the upper level with the transmission cold will cause overfilling of ATF and result in a transmission failure.
    Raise the ATF temperature by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles). Otherwise, idle the engine to raise ATF temperature to 70-80°C (158-176°F) on Subaru Select Monitor.
    Check the ATF for leaks. Make visual inspection for leaks from the inside of transmission
  • Options
    lawrencetylelawrencetyle Member Posts: 6
    Is it not because of incomplete draining?