Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Highlander Limited vs Grand Cherokee Overland

jamesfinneganjamesfinnegan Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Toyota
I have a choice between a Highlander Limited and a Grand Cherokee Overland edition. The Toyota is from a dealer while the Jeep would be sold from a friend. The price for each would be about the same. They both drive nice. The Highlander feels like it has more power while the Jeep feels more sturdy. The Toyota gets me new tires, brakes and the 100 point inspection with a 1 year warranty. The Overland edition of the Jeep is nice but I'm not sure about reliability records of the Cherokee. The Jeep only has 26,000 miles while the Highlander has 33,000. I think the Overland is the better buy but not sure about having to soon buy new tires, brakes or anything else that may be an issue. Anyone care to share your thoughts. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2015
    Personally I'd go for the Highlander just for the warranty. That said, I don't much trust those "100 point" inspections and it'd be a good idea to get either used car checked over by your mechanic before writing the check.

You can appraise them both here and see if the numbers are in the ballpark.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    I guess my question is .. how do you plan to use it and how long do you keep your cars?

The Jeep is way more off-road worthy, so if you plan to drive on anything more rugged than a graded dirt road, the Jeep is the obvious choice.

If you keep your cars forever, I would recommend the Toyota ... their reliability is legendary and the long term maintenance costs are sure to be lower.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    freebird237freebird237 Member Posts: 1
    As someone who has owned dozens of Jeeps, get the Highlander. For serious off roading,go for an older Cherokee,not Grand. Wish i'd bought a HL when wife did. They're great!