Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Porsche
image2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Our Long-Term Test of the 2015 Porsche Macan is complete after one year and more than 20,000 miles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    This is a long term test of an SUV - so how's the off-road performance of this thing? How can this thing have 'utility' if there's limited space in the back. Why do people buy these things? I know why Porsche makes it - to make money, but c'mon.

Porsche should go ahead and just make a real wagon, but then again that would make too much sense and no one would buy it - sigh.
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    marcos9 said:

Why do people buy these things?

because cheapos can't afford cayennes
  • Options
    any1thereany1there Member Posts: 21
    "...just make a real wagon, but then again that would make too much sense..." -- Building what people (besides a small, but vocal, group) don't want doesn't make sense, does it?
  • Options
    pete_bpete_b Member Posts: 2
    Why do people buy it? Because:

1. SUVs are the in-thing and will continue to dominate the market (there is just something commanding about sitting high up and having offroad capability, even if you never use it)
    2. The Macan, like other luxury SUVs, provides a good sporty and upscale daily driver, while being able to double up as a family hauler (people appreciate this ability and if you can live with 17 MPG and the high sticker price and maintenance, there is no downside)
    3. Because it is simply superior to the competition in ride and performance (X3, Q5, Evoque....)!
    4. Because it is designed well and looks good
    5. Because it is a Porsche!

I do agree that Edmunds should have said something about the offroad ability, even if only "lunatics" would take a 62 K car wheelin'! :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    6. Because Porsche needs the profits that selling SUVs brings in. B)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    6. Because Porsche every company needs profits that selling SUVS brings in

Fixed it for ya!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2015
    I remember all the moaning and groaning when BMW came out with the X5. Was gonna ruin the brand.

And to hear the moaning and groaning about the newer BMWs and how they are no longer "driver's cars", maybe it did. :D

Ditto the Cayenne.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Oh yeah... funny, though.. none of the BMW moaners can tell you which car company has done it differently. If they had their way, we'd still be driving 1987 models, and putting them in for regular service, every three months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2017
    marcos9 said:

This is a long term test of an SUV - so how's the off-road performance of this thing? How can this thing have 'utility' if there's limited space in the back. Why do people buy these things? I know why Porsche makes it - to make money, but c'mon.

Porsche should go ahead and just make a real wagon, but then again that would make too much sense and no one would buy it - sigh.

I challenge anyone here to find a 5-passenger vehicle that has the combination of handling, power, fast-yet-smooth transmission, and build quality of the Macan. The Macan is the best hatchback/wagon available today, especially in GTS trim. Sedans that used to be fun have almost all become boring. The 340i, which is in the current long-term fleet, is just way too soft -- even with the manual, I do not enjoy driving it. The S6 is equally boring, although the car is so fast it almost makes up its few faults. Sure, $80k is a lot for a hot hatch, but it's the law of diminishing returns. Buying a Focus RS plus a comfortable car for the same money is the wrong answer because you have to choose which one to drive. The Macan fills a niche very well.