Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why You'll Want the Premium Package - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in BMW
imageWhy You'll Want the Premium Package - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 BMW M235i is an entry-level luxury sport coupe. But even when you spend more than $50,000, you might not get the feature you'd expect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I'm actually the other way around. Last time I spec-ed out a BMW 2er for fun, I went up for the better engine, but purposefully left everything out except the lighting package. Plus any sport package comes with big wheels and low profile tires, so I'll keep the sidewall instead and still be able to put my preferred summer tires on later. To me, while all of the options sound nice at the time of purchase, I never actually miss any of them afterwards.

To each his own, I guess.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    Luxury brands love to nickel and dime for features that are standard on much cheaper cars.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    @barich1, you're right. Luxury car companies like to charge for backup cameras. Standard feature for Honda, Toyota, Mazda now.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I'm as big a fan of BMW, Audi and Porsche as the next petrolhead but it is INSANE that you can spend 57 large on a freaking 2 series and still not have Homelink. That's stupid.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited July 2015
    When you have people willing to pay extra for features that are standard on a Camcordtima just to get the badge on the hood and trunk...why not make that money? Sure my maid's Altima has keyless entry and start, auto dimming rear view mirror, homelink transmitter and it costs half of what I paid. Who cares, I drive a BMW. And for $57,000 you could get a Mustang GT Convertible with all the features you wish you had plus more and a 435 horsepower V8 engine.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    The one I'd miss the most is Comfort Access (where you can leave the key in your pocket). My wife's 328i has it, but a service loaner we got one time didn't and good gravy what a pain in the butt. First, we're used to never reaching for a key now, and it is just simply an epic convenience. Second, in the old days at least you had an ignition or dash slot in which to insert the key. I'd get in the loaner and be sitting there with my di...er...key in my hand. grrr
  • opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    dont worry, the 2016s made the premium package standard minus the leather.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    "Who expects to do manual nighttime rearview mirror tilting on his or her new BMW, even if it is an entry-level one? "
    Even worse on a $56k car plus taxes...
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited July 2015
    They charge extra for these features because they can. People will pay for it. Simple as that. It's whatever the market will bear. Only if customers en masse decided not to buy BMWs anymore would they change this strategy.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    boff said:

The one I'd miss the most is Comfort Access (where you can leave the key in your pocket). My wife's 328i has it, but a service loaner we got one time didn't and good gravy what a pain in the butt. First, we're used to never reaching for a key now, and it is just simply an epic convenience. Second, in the old days at least you had an ignition or dash slot in which to insert the key. I'd get in the loaner and be sitting there with my di...er...key in my hand. grrr

I had a BMW rental provided to me by my insurance company after a fender bender. The lack of "comfort access" was just lame. What's the point of having push button start if you still have to use the key to unlock the doors?
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    schen72 said:

What's the point of having push button start if you still have to use the key to unlock the doors?

Still haven't figured it out. :p

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    My wife has a 2011 X3. First year model. We bought it used. You don't have to put the key in the slot, but you still have to use the fob to unlock the doors.. For me, it's no big deal, just reach in my pocket. But, for her..fish it out of her purse. It does defeat the whole purpose.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dlrodgersdlrodgers Member Posts: 7
    for all you whiners go check out the Monroney sticker on a Porsche :)
  • glim1000glim1000 Member Posts: 1
    You don't know what you don't know. Comfort access is a game changer - with it you want everything to have comfort access. Also changed the house so when you get home the house door unlocks, the lights turn on the temperature sets to desired setting.
  • clawsoncarsclawsoncars Member Posts: 4
    Disappointing that the entry level models for these luxury brands are so bare bones.