Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

1966 Chevrolet Corvette Meets 2015 Toyota Camry | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Chevrolet
image1966 Chevrolet Corvette Meets 2015 Toyota Camry | Edmunds.com

Edmunds takes a 1966 Corvette and a modern Toyota Camry to the test track and the racetrack to put a modern perspective on performance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Fun comparison, but equally interesting would be the difference 50 years of tire tech make on a car like the 'Vette. How much better would a set of modern summer radials make the Corvette go, stop, and turn?
  • Options
    frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    Wow, this article was oddly written; not a smooth read at all.
  • Options
    zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    It's a no brainer that mocern cars, no matter how plebian they are, will romp 50 year old tehnology. That's not a surprise. This story would have been great if they capped it with some comparo crash test results. Lol! The reality is that modern cars have come a long way since the sixties, which is both a good and a bad thing depnding on how you look at it. Sadly, drivers haven't improved nearly so much as the cars have. :)
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I agree it would be interesting to see how much change a set of modern rubber would make on the Corvette. Still probably wouldn't be enough to beat the Camry, but interesting anyway. What a cool car, it must sound awesome. I'd be more than happy with that car and the 327, side pipes rumbling with the windows down.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    I wish you had used the XSE Camry in order to address the contradiction of the sport version Camry! Seriously though is it better than the Accord Sport?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,726
    "Humans achieved manned supersonic flight less than 50 years after the Wright Brothers first went aloft in 1903 at a mere 6.8 mph.

In light of that, the 2015 Toyota Camry is a disappointment."

Huh? I draw the exact opposite conclusion from this post. 50 years has resulted in a plain-jane grocery-getter outperforming one of the best sports cars of its day.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gee why didn't you just take a John Deere tractor out there to spar with the Camry. No fair!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2015
    Hm, how about kit car on a Camry. Might have something there.
  • Options
    atariatari Member Posts: 10
    Now repeat this test with a 2015 corvette and a 1983 camry.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,368
    did you use some nice 60's high octane unleaded fuel in the Corvette?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150
    Who cares the Vette is pure sexy and sitting at a red light it beat anything on the road
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451

Fun comparison, but equally interesting would be the difference 50 years of tire tech make on a car like the 'Vette. How much better would a set of modern summer radials make the Corvette go, stop, and turn?

Yeah, but the trouble is, the only tire that will fit without modifications is a 205. That bodywork wasn't designed with wide tires in mind, which is one of the main reasons the C2 only lasted 5 years, the shortest-lived Corvette generation. In fact it was supposed to be 4 years, but the C3 was delayed at the outset. The C3 has essentially the same frame, but with radically different (and more accommodating) bodywork and fenders.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Yeah, but the trouble is, the only tire that will fit without modifications is a 205. That bodywork wasn't designed with wide tires in mind, which is one of the main reasons the C2 only lasted 5 years, the shortest-lived Corvette generation. In fact it was supposed to be 4 years, but the C3 was delayed at the outset. The C3 has essentially the same frame, but with radically different (and more accommodating) bodywork and fenders.

I have similar problems with my 1972 MGB-GT with factory 4.5" knock off wires. I run 195/70-14's, which fit, but just barely and are technically too wide for the wheels.
  • Options
    funcarguyfuncarguy Member Posts: 5
    It also would have been interesting to see how the same Corvette would have performed with one of the higher output 327's that were available that year, in addition to better radial tires.
  • Options
    happymotorhappymotor Member Posts: 2
    The biggest difference; in another fifty years the 1966 Corvette will be a "more" coveted legend and the 2015 Camry will be nothing more than a picture, dug up at the National Archives.
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited August 2015

How much faster would the Camry be with no emissions controls or safety features like the Vette?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    texases said:

"Humans achieved manned supersonic flight less than 50 years after the Wright Brothers first went aloft in 1903 at a mere 6.8 mph.

In light of that, the 2015 Toyota Camry is a disappointment."

Huh? I draw the exact opposite conclusion from this post. 50 years has resulted in a plain-jane grocery-getter outperforming one of the best sports cars of its day.

Not too mention the COrvette when new would need its first rebuild and major body work before the odern Camry might need its first minor repair.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The biggest difference; in another fifty years the 1966 Corvette will be a "more" coveted legend and the 2015 Camry will be nothing more than a picture, dug up at the National Archives.

Well the Toyota S2000 will be much more coveted than an old Vette, 3 people on my street alone have old Vettes...

Compare a Malibu to a Camry, it will be in the junkyard 5 years earlier.

• Options
    g5457sg5457s Member Posts: 1
    "But the Camry's 2GR-FE V6 delivers a freakish amount of punch."
    Here's a Toyota Avalon acceleration video. I wonder how the hell did that guy achieve 0-60mph (0-100km/h) in less than 3 seconds O_O
    EPIC wheelspin though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6oBCR9LeqA