Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Accidental Trunk Release - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited July 2015 in Acura
imageAccidental Trunk Release - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

I needed to access the trunk from inside the 2015 Acura TLX. Turns out this was harder than it seemed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Posts: 599
    I'm trying to think of a circumstance where you'd want to open the trunk with a key from the rear seat.
    Not really related but in the bottom picture I noticed something that always bothered my when I saw pictures of the TSX wagon's fold down rear seats and it seems to be a thing with Acuras. The wheel wells are so obtrusive that when you lower the 40 side of the 60/40 seats the pass through is incredibly narrow. In you picture it looks like width is about 6 or 8 inches at the floor.
  • rosmossrosmoss Posts: 9
    There may not be an actual keyed release for the trunk on the outside of the car. A dead battery would make the trunk inaccessible.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin NE IllinoisPosts: 509
    Please, allow me to explain. The physical key detatches from the key fob. In the glove box (at least on the Accord) there is a switch to turn off the trunk release. Then you can lock the glovebox. All a valet needs to start the car is the remote, not the physical key. This design is so that you can hand the fob to a valet. Then the trunk is locked with no way in for a valet. This is in lieu of a "valet key" in the Smart Entry age.
  • What both of them said. It is an emergency release in the case of a dead car or fob battery and how you secure your belonging when handing the car to a valet or the service department.
  • @Ronald M. - Nice detail! If I were shopping for this car, I would have missed something like this. More than once on a road trip, an item was in the trunk, and I liked that my passengers could just fish it out by folding down one of the back seats. I understand though... this TLX favors security over convenience.