Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Air Dam Ruins the Off-Road Party - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Chevrolet
imageAir Dam Ruins the Off-Road Party - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Chevrolet Colorado has a low-hanging air-dam that keeps it from doing any serious off-roading.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Is it removable? It almost looks like it's designed to be removed if you want to go offroad.
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    Here's the previous post about the involved process required to take off the front air dam: http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/colorado/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-chevrolet-colorado-ramp-travel-index-take-1.html
  • Options
    defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    Ridiculous - to create an offroad package of a truck and stick it with a low ground clearance air dam that cant even be removed with some simple clips/tabs.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Toyota commented that their new 2016 Tacoma 2WD with a front air dam has better ground clearance and approach angles than their competitors off road versions. Their 4WD Tacoma doesn't have a air dam.
  • Options
    its_me5its_me5 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    You should really remove the air dam and then do some of these tests. We get the point that it gets in the way, it has been stated on this page many times before. I want to see what you guys think of the truck when you take it off!

And it really shouldn't take the 3-4 hours that Dan said it would in his write up on his trip to Gordon. Took me less than an hour. It is awkward to get down under there and to the attachment points but once you figure it out its not too difficult.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    Yes, this is sort of old news with this truck but it really is a stupid oversight on GM's part. No problem with it on the LT, but on the Z71? The air dam really should have been designed with some kind of quick release clips, or at least fewer than what is it - like 30 bolts or something? It wouldn't keep me from buying one, because I don't anticipate I'd be off road much - but I could see it deterring someone who does intend to off road from picking up a Z71 over a Tacoma with the off road package. Tacoma, both old and new, seems to blow the Colorado away in terms of off road readiness. Even the "Trail Boss" edition has the low air dam. Is it just me, or does GM seem to be falling back into "badge engineering" where they have a bunch of "special editions" of vehicles that are no more than some new stickers and a few bolt on but functionally useless appearance items?
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    its_me5 said:

You should really remove the air dam and then do some of these tests. We get the point that it gets in the way, it has been stated on this page many times before. I want to see what you guys think of the truck when you take it off!

And it really shouldn't take the 3-4 hours that Dan said it would in his write up on his trip to Gordon. Took me less than an hour. It is awkward to get down under there and to the attachment points but once you figure it out its not too difficult.

No joke; talk about beating a dead horse.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The folks at GM should have removed the air dam for Z71 off road packages not leave for the owner. I'm impressed with the attention to detail that Toyota put into the off road version of the Tacoma. Bucking the trend of making truck frames stiffer Toyota intentionally designed the rear of the frame to flex. Toyota says the flexing of the frame allows the rear tires to remain in contact with the ground in extreme situations They acknowledge that this reduces the towing and payload capacities but their research shows Tacoma buyers don't tow heavy loads but do go off road more than most. Even the fog lights on the TRD Off Road package are different than the other Tacomas. Their beam pattern is wider for better visibility on narrow off road trails. Best of all, 4x4 Tacomas have Crawl Control for extreme off road driving so the driver can concentrate on steering while the truck takes care of throttle and braking.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    "You should really remove the air dam"

"No joke; talk about beating a dead horse. "

Is the Z71 off road logo still emblazoned on the side of the bed, and is GM still selling them with this ridiculous air dam? Well, then it's not beating a dead horse. And to those who advocate just removing the thing, Dan Edmunds on a previous post found this quote in the Colorado's owners manual:

"Caution: Operating the vehicle for extended periods without the front fascia lower air dam installed can cause improper air flow to the engine. Reattach the front fascia air dam after off-road driving."

So it's difficult to remove and doing so may void your powertrain warranty should anything go wrong while it is detached. Great solution, Chevy. Chevy screwed up here. If I want a compact pickup, I want it for off-roading, and the 10-year old outgoing Tacoma looks like a far better rig than this overhyped entrant, to say nothing of the new generation.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    It is beating a dead horse when they keep bringing it back up. We get it already. Its been well documented. Lets move on.
  • Options
    aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    "Yes, this is sort of old news with this truck but it really is a stupid oversight on GM's part. No problem with it on the LT, but on the Z71?"

For those in states that have weather it's a problem even with the LT. I've lost count of the brand new Tahoes and Suburbans that I've seen with that massive plow blade of an air dam hanging loose or crooked.

Never mind the Rubicon, GM is delivering their trucks unfit for snowbanks or steep driveways.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    Good point. Guess I'd need to see if it'll clear the end of my driveway before I think about buying one.
  • Options
    bjm17bjm17 Member Posts: 2
    It took me about 45 min. to remove mine, and I've seen no noticeable drop in MPG's. It's hilarious to see people complaining about it, just take the thing off, it takes less than an hour.
  • Options
    vtman84vtman84 Member Posts: 1
    I read here that taking the air dam off could potentially void the warranty because it also serves to send cool air to the radiator etc under normal driving conditions and that the manual says the dam has to be put back on after off-roading or engine damage could occur. Not sure if hogwash so people just don't complain of MPG loss, or if there's actual mechanical risk of permanent removal. If actual risk, what a pain it would be to remove and replace (and store) the thing every time you hit the dirt!

Anyone able to verify what the approach angle is W/O the dam in place and whether the manual warning has any truth to it?