Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tire replacement advice - sidewall damage

djc2016djc2016 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in General
I've recieved mixed advice whether I should have this tire replaced. Tread on the tire is not the issue, there is ~80% left but the sidewalls have damage in multiple locations. The tires are low profile, is the sidewall thinner than a normal tire? Could the damage cause a blowout? 

We drove to a tire shop and the people working there said they would let their daughter drive on that tire and not to be concerned. 

We left but I'm really concerned and would like more opinions.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Danny

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    That looks like significant damage. I'd replace them. Low profile tires get damaged more often because there is less sidewall to absorb the bumps. 
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited October 2015
    Thats a lot of hits to the curb by the right front tire. Its not the bumps ;) Pretty rough driving for a BMW AMG :open_mouth: Chunks of the tire are missing and multiple cracks. I would never drive that for a single day more.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    carboy21 said:

Thats a lot of hits to the curb by the right front tire. Its not the bumps ;) Pretty rough driving for a BMW AMG :open_mouth: Chunks of the tire are missing and multiple cracks. I would never drive that for a single day more.

Mercedes.... and typical wear. ;)

I agree... time to look for a new tire.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator