Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Adjust Idle 2004 Pacifica

hotrodsuehotrodsue Member Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Chrysler
We have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that we recently purchased.

It idles high and we want to adjust the idle down some.

I've been searching and unable to find where and how to adjust the idle.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can't adjust it, it is controlled by the car's ECM. Best thing I can suggest is to have the car scanned for trouble codes--perhaps something like a P0508 will show up, indicating a fault in the idle air control valve, or IAC. Your engine could also have a vacuum leak.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response; great info. So, because it is electronic, there is no way to adjust the idle. My husband is not here, however, I'm researching. Please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge. I have more info and another question.

Being a new vehicle to us, we did an oil change. The engine light came on recently and error code indicating evap issue. We replaced purge valve and gas cap.

Most recently we replaced spark plugs and boots, after that the high idle started. He's going to take a look to see if there's anything obvious standing out where he reassembled everything.

Question: If there is no engine light on, and we scan for trouble codes, will it give a trouble code?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes you can still retrieve codes if the engine light isn't on (sometimes). It's possible he could have knocked a vacuum line off.

And that's right, the idle speed is not adjustable.
  • Options
    Thanks again, we appreciate your help. He's back home and going to check it out. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    04pac_answer104pac_answer1 Member Posts: 4
    Eureka!!!! Your problems are solved.. If your having shuttering problems, problems with your EGR, idle air control, throttle positioning sensor, car not turning over, car acting erratically or dying out and even transmission issues such as going in limp mode not switching gears... It is in 2 places the wire harness!!!!
    1) Under the tire well above the dog bone for suspension is a Negative or ground cable bolted to the transmission this sometimes comes loose and will prevent your car from starting or even turning over.. There is also a harness that passes over this bolt which will rub out on the back side in time.. This will cause problems in the egr, i.a.c., t.p.s and Ats.... Fix the wire fix the problem
    2) if you open your hood under your battery not directly but down low youll see your solenoid packs and other transmission sensors follow these to the thicker wire harness down to wear it almost touches the frame and meets other wire harnesses... The back side of this "crossroad" rubs up against some kind of flange on the transmission with bolt holes in it.. This is the problem with transmission issues in the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5l.. Fix the wire fix the problem!!! I spent alot of money on parts to figure out this simple easy cheap fix.. Make sure to reinforce protection in the back of theose wires during fix.. Hope i save dyou some