Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Skip-Shift in a 645-hp Supercar - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Dodge
imageSkip-Shift in a 645-hp Supercar - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Even with over 600 horsepower, our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper still has to deal with a Skip Shift feature, designed to give it better fuel economy in the city. Luckily, it's not that intrusive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I can't believe skip-shift makes it through the EPA. It just seems so ridiculous to me. I know automatic cars skip all the time, but with a stick it seems like cheating.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Skip-shift sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a manual. There shouldn't be any "lock out" for any gear other than reverse, and that's just to keep you from dropping it from 5th (on a 5 Speed) down into Reverse while trying to pass. I had a buddy with an S-10 that didn't have a working Reverse Lockout. We found out what happens when you drop a 5 Speed from 5th into Reverse on an over-pass at 60 mph. The truck felt like it got sucked to the ground, Reverse got stripped out, and all sorts of Hell broke loose sound wise.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    The Mustang is the only American V-8 powered performance car that does not use a skip-shift mechanism in the manual transmission. For this reason, I have great respect for the Mustang. The Corvette, Camaro, Challenger and Viper all use skip-shift.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    "Loud pedal"????? Is this now a 1966 GTO advertisement?