Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I Really Dislike This Car — A Lot - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Dodge
imageI Really Dislike This Car — A Lot - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Dodge Viper GT is very fast, has a nice shifter and it looks cool. That's the extent of the good things editor James Riswick has to say about it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    This is why Toyota Camry's and Honda Accord's sell so well; it's people like this that don't want any soul, spirit, or originality in their driving experience--just practical transportation. This is a car developed for the track 90% of the time and the street 10% of the time...it's going to be out of it's element in stop and go traffic as indicated in the picture.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Viper has always been an unruly beast. Look at the ads for them in Hemmings. Half of them are advertised with collision damage, and most of them have very few miles on them. The Viper is the epitome of the totally useless weapons-grade "toy". You wouldn't find a race car comfortable either.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    thepuff said:

This is why Toyota Camry's and Honda Accord's sell so well; it's people like this that don't want any soul, spirit, or originality in their driving experience--just practical transportation. This is a car developed for the track 90% of the time and the street 10% of the time...it's going to be out of it's element in stop and go traffic as indicated in the picture.

Mr. Riswick doesn't care much for the Camry either, IIRC he's more of a hot-hatch guy. Can't blame him, they provide some "soul, spirit, and originality" in a package that is also practical transportation. Given the abundance of #OMGviperawesome articles from the auto press, it is frankly refreshing to read some criticism about this type of car, as a reminder of what it truly is and why it won't work for some people. Most people.
    They only sell about 100 Vipers a month, so it's probably a non-issue for 99.99% of people.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yep, the Viper has always been a "true" American vehicle. Loud and obnoxious (yes, that applies to me too) and unpractical. That view is insane. You'd break your back driving that for a couple of hours. I DO appreciate your post. Too often its ALL about the handling and performance on the track. I mean, if you want a track car, you have A LOT of options. Hell, doesn't even have to be street legal. I'll NEVER understanding paying $100k for a car designed around the track unless it is a SERIOUS racing car. You couldn't convince me that this guy would take down a $50k modified Miata or even a basic, stripped down vehicle with basically and engine and wheels. Buy a cheap Truck and tow it there. Don't buy this thing unless you want to show off.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The Viper is so people can show how much money they can waste for a vehicle. Most Viper owners will never use it for its stated purpose. They do it to make it look that they're somebody. Frankly, I think the Viper is a bit "douchey". At least the Corvette is liveable.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    thepuff said:

IDK, it seems to me that there is a huge spectrum between Viper and Camry that is inhabited by some very very entertaining cars, including some that would challenge the Viper at the track while not having the same street compromises. The world of ultra high performance cars has progressed far beyond the days of exotic = rough riding crude limited practicality.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    I know I'd buy something else for $100k.
    Buy a nice clean used one and save yourself $70,000.
  • jjacquotjjacquot Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2015

James is right about most of this stuff.

He's also a big sissy.

Josh
    I might put up with this stuff if I liked the looks (well, if I LOVED the looks). I don't.
  • ninjakrisninjakris Member Posts: 1
    James, it sounds like your mind was made up before even getting into the viper that you wouldn't like it. Thats too bad. It is a great car, and I've driven pretty much everything in the 80-130K range and chose to own a 14' viper. All cars have pro's and con's. While the side sills are warm and wide, its not that bad. The car doesn't ride too rough, and if you were to buy one, there is seat lowering kits available. As for the comments about owners being rich and douchey, please take some time and actually talk to some viper owners. Every owner I have met has always been very nice. Most owners are hard working guys and are far from rich.
    "Somebody who drives a car I can't afford" = 'douchey' it often seems. Applied to BMW, Porsche, MB, and, now, Viper owners. Sometimes true, often not, and ignores the jerks driving Corollas, Malibus, etc.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    Viper = Track

If you want a livable super car, get a R8.
    R8 is a wonderful car but more than one reviewer finds it no fun at all.
  • motodoc43motodoc43 Member Posts: 1
    People don't understand the viper any more than they understand Moto Guzzis. It's about how they move you, how the thump of the motor makes your soul feel. They are not for everyone, thank god. Fortunately, Chrysler has seen fit to continue to make the car for those of us who understand them and absolutely adore them- even though they make no money in the process. I can't wait to see the gen 6 after a couple years hiatus!
  • blacktorqueblacktorque Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    You're just soft.
    Soft men need soft cars, like that Lexus 500LC. Better yet a BMW i8.
    Visibility can be improved with a 2" seat lowering kit
    Viper men want hardcore sports cars that beat up soft and tender hearted guys.

• marozl17marozl17 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/n4kxle6/ You should really look at this

Yep, the Viper has always been a "true" American vehicle. Loud and obnoxious (yes, that applies to me too) and unpractical. That view is insane. You'd break your back driving that for a couple of hours. I DO appreciate your post. Too often its ALL about the handling and performance on the track. I mean, if you want a track car, you have A LOT of options. Hell, doesn't even have to be street legal. I'll NEVER understanding paying $100k for a car designed around the track unless it is a SERIOUS racing car. You couldn't convince me that this guy would take down a $50k modified Miata or even a basic, stripped down vehicle with basically and engine and wheels. Buy a cheap Truck and tow it there. Don't buy this thing unless you want to show off.