Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The One Button Every Car Needs - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in BMW
The One Button Every Car Needs - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 BMW M235i has a button that not every car has, but every car needs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I agree 100%. I'm a windows down, sunroof open kind of guy and I would love if this feature was standard. The only reason I can think of that it's not is that running all four window motors at once isn't ideal.
  • Options
    lewis26lewis26 Member Posts: 7
    Completely Agree.

I also want all cars with keyless entry to be able to hold the unlock button and all the windows and sunroof open.

And then hold the lock button and they go up automatically.

And any car with folding mirrors should fold automatically upon locking. (I HATE that my 2012 F150 doesn't auto fold its mirrors)
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Favorite single switch? Obvs that would be the "top down" button! It lowers all four windows, too.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Interesting observation. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of other BMW convertibles having this same switch. Interestingly enough, my grandma's 2007 Audi A4 cabrio has the same switch. It's great for when you're lowering the top because the windows only lower halfway and then return back to the top when the roof is stored away.
  • Options
    MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    One of my favorite features of my 1990 300TE is that you can put the key in the door lock and hold it in the "open" position to open all of the windows plus the sunroof. And if you hold it in the "lock" position, it closes them all.
  • Options
    nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    PT Cruiser rag tops had that button starting in 04.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Great button, especially if I was coming back to a car parked out in the sun. Would be nice to see it on a lot of cars, but being that we're down to a single keyed entry on most vehicles in the interest of cost savings, I'm not gonna hold my breath :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Old school - just tell your phone to open the windows.

"Ford launched Sync Connect with the 2017 Ford Escape at the LA Auto Show this week. The platform lets drivers unlock or start the vehicles from their smartphones."

The Morning Download: Ford CEO Says Wireless Updates Will Change the Car (WSJ - registration link)
  • Options
    Old school indeed... my phone tends to remain a phone ;)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So pointing a fob at it is somehow more difficult than pulling out a phone, calling up an APP, and punching in codes? Geesh, what a useless waste of time and technology. Unless of course you want to start your car while you are 5 miles away.
  • Options
    I have a non-app app that lets me open and start the car with my phone. Although I had to use a camera instead of letting it take a selfie B)

fob.jpg 88.6K
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Nah, you call your car from your desk and tell it to get ready for your arrival. The car proximity sensors detect your fob and engages your previous command(s) as you approach.

"Phones" are just good for telemarketers to get to you. A "real" phone is used to run apps and txt your friends. If you want to "talk", there's Facetime or Hangouts.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So BMW has a button that some cars have had for 15 years? Well, gee, that's impressive. :)