Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Passenger Door Is Loose - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in BMW
imagePassenger Door Is Loose - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com investigates why the passenger door on its long-term 2014 BMW i3 has come loose.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The penalty of owning a lightweight vehicle is fragile parts, it appears.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The fact that a door panel is held on by plastic tabs doesn't surprise me. But the fact that the outer door skin is really does surprise me. What this basically means is that if you wish to break into a BMW i3, you just have to yank really hard on the lower door sill from the outside and you're in.

I wonder if the 2 series convertible that Edmunds has is made the similar way?

Granted, it'd be noticeable, the alarm would probably go off, and you'd have to be quick, but I don't see how this is a good design idea.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    It's a shame that the plastic body panels on a 1990's Saturn are better secured to the body than a 2015 BMW. Remember all those commercials of hitting a Saturn with a baseball bat to show how dent resistant the body panels were. Wouldn't try that on this BMW.
  • Options
    markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2015
    The shoe explanation strikes me as unlikely. Passenger door getting caught on a high curb when parallel parked seems like a more logical explanation. A traditional metal door would be permanently scared in that scenario whereas the i3's panel can be simply re-connected. Not flimsy but a more sensible design for urban living.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Eww. Without a warranty, that would cost $300 in BMW dollars.