Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Best CUV/small SUV with very quiet interior with good fit and finish?

budhbudh Member Posts: 109
edited April 2014 in Ford

I'm comparing several small SUVs and CUVs and planning on purchasing a 2015 model this fall. The only USA manufacturer under consideration is Ford (Escape and possibly a small chance of the Explorer) due to father-in-law being a 30+ year Ford employee and Ford X-plan pricing would take several thousand dollars off the price. But if a foreign make catches my eye, it can beat out the Escape.

Important items to me: fit and finish, quiet and comfortable, low road noise and very limited "rattles", classy functional interior, a reasonable number of modern features, especially backup sensors and camera. (If you've seen the bumper on my 2002 Highlander, you'd know why.), driver legroom and especially headroom important due to being 6'3" with long torso.

Items not that important to me: Navigation/audio system, gas mileage (as long as its reasonable - a few mpg difference not that important), "performance" (as long as it's not overly sluggish), off road capability (don't go off roading at all, so low road noise is a big plus); don't need 3rd row and 2nd row dimensions of limited importance to me.

Here are some CUVs/small SUVs I'm considering:

Ford Escape
Mazda CX-5
Hyundai Sante Fe Sport (small version of regular Santa Fe)
Honda CR-V
Toyota RAV-4
Nissan Rogue
Ford Edge

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

It's really hard to go wrong with any of your choices. The Escape is getting good reviews and while you should compare prices with TMV, it's hard to beat the X-Plan deals. And hopefully the 2015 model will have an improved My Touch interface; that's about the only significant "con" with the Escapes. Since you don't much care about NAV, you may not like the My Touch, so that could be the deal killer for you.

• Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I am dredging up this thread as the OP has a lot of similarities to me and my preferences. I am the same height and have a hearing problem, thus I also prefer a very, very quiet car.

I have a 328 wagon, which is a great car. But with some neck surgery issues, squeezing in and out of my low slung sportwagon is getting harder for me. I would consider a really quiet sedan but again, need that headroom and it can't be really low slung.

As I understand it, the models in the OP are all a little noisy except the Fords. Consumer Reports indicates reliability problems with the Escape. Too bad - it sounds like a great little SUV.

Also, I may want a little more performance, coming from the 328, so I am also looking at a quiet CPO Euro SUV, like a Tiguan, X3 or Q5.

Any thoughts Edmundites?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I really like the Tiguan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    kyfdx, I took your advice a while ago (I think it was you) re getting rid of my evil runflats. Any other sub forum you would post this question on?

Why the Tiguan over the Q5 or X3?

Well except for the $10k premium... I can get a 2013 SE with nice wheels, nav, moonroof for about $23k and the Q5 - though with a few more luxury bits and leather - for $33k. The Q5, though, has no more headroom than the Tiguan.

My concern on the Tiguan is that several reviews say it is noisy with the larger wheels. I do not know if that is just the 19" wheels on the R or previous top spec SEL or if that also includes the 17 and 18" wheels. I just have to get back in one I suppose.

Regarding headroom and a higher entry in a sedan, it appears only the Passat and Chevy Impala have those attributes. Most nice sedans have sporty low roof lines.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    edwardsf said:

kyfdx, I took your advice a while ago (I think it was you) re getting rid of my evil runflats. Any other sub forum you would post this question on?

Why the Tiguan over the Q5 or X3?

Well except for the $10k premium... I can get a 2013 SE with nice wheels, nav, moonroof for about $23k and the Q5 - though with a few more luxury bits and leather - for $33k. The Q5, though, has no more headroom than the Tiguan.

My concern on the Tiguan is that several reviews say it is noisy with the larger wheels. I do not know if that is just the 19" wheels on the R or previous top spec SEL or if that also includes the 17 and 18" wheels. I just have to get back in one I suppose.

Regarding headroom and a higher entry in a sedan, it appears only the Passat and Chevy Impala have those attributes. Most nice sedans have sporty low roof lines.

The Tiguan and the Q5 have the same engine... I like saving $10K.

I would avoid 19" wheels if possible, just because of ride and tire replacement cost. 17" is the new 15". It's hard to find any vehicles with wheels under 16".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator