Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ten Reasons to Take the Yugo - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Yugo
Ten Reasons to Take the Yugo - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

It takes some convincing to get the uninitiated to ride along in our long-term 1989 Yugo GVL.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    #11-No concerns with untrustworthy valets.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I'm one of those odd-ball car guys, so I'm fairly certain that I'd rock the Yugo on a regular basis, but my wife would kill me if she thought I'd try to get something like this and make it a daily driver.

But I do question the gas fumes. After purging the tank and rebuilding the carburetor, y'all are still getting a pervasive fuel smell in the car? If it were an older car, without a catalytic converter, I'd chalk it up to just the fuel that wasn't burned in the exhaust. Any clue about that?
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    I know that you only paid $950 for this car, but have you thought about cleaning the interior of this car its a filthy mess, At least put some seat covers on then maybe people will want to ride in it.

Maybe the fire extinguisher within reach from the drivers seat is also a turn off. My idea of a fun is not "I wonder when/if this things is going to catch fire".
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Wow...it IS a filthy mess.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Time to play 'Name that Stain'
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Was there a murder in the passenger seat or was it a case of incontinence?
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Ratty cars like that remind me of my late high school/early college years, when several of my friends had cars like that because that was all they could afford. And they were the fortunate ones; the rest of us couldn't afford any car. Now that I'm middle aged and relatively affluent, though, I'd never climb into a car that ratty on a daily basis. Once or twice for the novelty, but that'd be it.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Yeesh. Your wife is a good sport.
  • yugocrazy89yugocrazy89 Member Posts: 1
    You guys should clean the interior a bit. I own a Yugo myself and something basic like a vacuum or de-clutter really makes a difference. You may not think so but even cleaning the seats or dash does make them come up rather well.