Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Shoppers Ready for "Made in China" label, Volvo and Buick tell Edmunds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in General
Car Shoppers Ready for Car Shoppers Ready for "Made in China" label

Car shoppers are ready to accept vehicles with the "Made in China" label, Volvo and Buick tell Edmunds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    sonny28sonny28 Member Posts: 65
    I don't doubt that most average shoppers and buyers wouldn't mind. No offense, but I wouldn't take up on it. Where the motor, transmission, and car is built is the first aspect I view before serious consideration. I'd honestly pay the premium for a Japanese built car. Again, no offense... And I admit that I do believe that China has improved its quality levels compared to the past.
    '14 Honda CBR600RR
    '15 Honda Rebel
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    they should be able to make some nice cars. don't forget those cute little iphones are made in China as well.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Of course those wishing to import said vehicles make this claim - what else are they going to say? I am also a little iffy on those S60 LWB sales claims, unless consulates and proud expats are buying them and storing them away - maybe dealer principals, too.

"Happily buy" is also of questionable merit, and of course it fits the PC everything is equal ignore offshore crimes mantra.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2015
    Guess I should buy a Volkswagen and ignore onshore crimes instead? :D
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Yes, cheating on emissions tests vs an endless litany of social, environmental, and IP crimes, the same! ;)

I wouldn't have bought a German car in 1939 or a Russian car in 1953 (or most other times) either.

It'd probably be fascinating to see the final QC line for these vehicles - they will be under a microscope, as the makers can't afford to get this wrong. They will probably end up being well-made cars.
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Since the average wage in these manufacturing sites is what, 2 bucks an hour(?), I'm guessing their costs will plummet, to be reflected by the purchase price, right?

\sarc...

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Taking a sniff of the political climate right now in America, I'd say that "Made in China" is going to be a long row to hoe for GM and Volvo. Volvo is standing on three legs as it is. I'd like to see the PR firm that's going to change the legacy of Sweden into the appeal of China.

The only way for this to work would be for China to replicate what Japan did---a) redefine the type of car Americans would drive and b) build them better than we do.

How long do I have to hold my breath?