Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why I Didn't Buy One - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
imageWhy I Didn't Buy One - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

I was going to buy myself a 2016 Chevy Volt. Here's why I didn't.

Read the full story here

Comments

• miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Great Article, Mike. #9 on your list is all it takes for me: I'll never buy a car with a cheap interior (it's cost Subaru 2 cars from me).
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    I've been intrigued by the Volts powertrain as well, but like you, the car just doesn't meet my needs. I would love to have the Volts powertrain upsized and put into something that can be used as the family errand runner, e.g. minivan or 3 row SUV. Frankly, most of our gas isn't burned up in my commute to work, it's burned up by my stay at home mother of a wife running errands and taking the kids places, most trips of which are between 3-14 miles round trip. I know they make a Tahoe hybrid, but I want something that has similar range and EV capabilities as the Volt. The thing may not put up the record efficiency numbers a small car could, but for us, it would spend almost it's entire life running in EV mode.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    "As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself."

This is incorrect. It has the paddle AND it blends regen with the brake pedal. IIRC, in Volt 1.0, all braking up to about 0.3G was through regen. With a bigger battery, I'd expect the new Volt to do a little better.

Drive around in D for a while and check the front brake rotor temperatures. They'll be barely above ambient.
  • moridin2moridin2 Member Posts: 4
    Question Mike: Do you want and/or can only have one car?
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Good observations Magrath. Buzz killed it for me (a good thing)
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited January 2016
    csubowtie said:

I've been intrigued by the Volts powertrain as well, but like you, the car just doesn't meet my needs. I would love to have the Volts powertrain upsized and put into something that can be used as the family errand runner, e.g. minivan or 3 row SUV. Frankly, most of our gas isn't burned up in my commute to work, it's burned up by my stay at home mother of a wife running errands and taking the kids places, most trips of which are between 3-14 miles round trip. I know they make a Tahoe hybrid, but I want something that has similar range and EV capabilities as the Volt. The thing may not put up the record efficiency numbers a small car could, but for us, it would spend almost it's entire life running in EV mode.

Then you should buy a Highlander Hybrid, which I believe will check off pretty much all your boxes. The Tahoe hybrid is a joke. Like the BMW X5 hybrid is for people that want the badging to tell everyone they have a hybrid, but don't actually care about fuel economy.
  • uncanny_manuncanny_man Member Posts: 11
    You're complaining about the style, yet want the volt powertrain in an i3? Yikes man, what the crap?!? Look with your eyes at the i3 and see the horror! The horror!
  • jorocojajajorocojaja Member Posts: 8
    Mike, I hope you have not completely ruled out the i3 with the range extender engine.

We (as a state) are so close to completing the Quick Charge gaps up and down California via the 101 or 99. When done, you'll only need to stop 2-3 times between LA and SF to quick charge and gas up. I just did the trip last week in my Leaf and stopped 8 times - quick charging most of the way. Range extending i3 with cult that in half if not more.
  • Mike_MagrathMike_Magrath Member Posts: 23
    mfennell said:

"As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself."

This is incorrect. It has the paddle AND it blends regen with the brake pedal. IIRC, in Volt 1.0, all braking up to about 0.3G was through regen. With a bigger battery, I'd expect the new Volt to do a little better.

Drive around in D for a while and check the front brake rotor temperatures. They'll be barely above ambient.

Note I said "an AGRESSIVE regen system". It has one, it's just weak. I want regen cranked up to 11. I want it to act the way it acts with the paddle pulled all the time.
    -mm

Mike, I hope you have not completely ruled out the i3 with the range extender engine.

We (as a state) are so close to completing the Quick Charge gaps up and down California via the 101 or 99. When done, you'll only need to stop 2-3 times between LA and SF to quick charge and gas up. I just did the trip last week in my Leaf and stopped 8 times - quick charging most of the way. Range extending i3 with cult that in half if not more.

Completely ruled out. See Riswick's excellent post about using the range extender here http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-bmw-i3-testing-the-range-extender.html.
    -mm
    moridin2 said:

Question Mike: Do you want and/or can only have one car?

One commuter-type car is enough.
    -mm
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    enlightening about driving fleet vehicles for people who have never experienced it (i have).

sounds like you can never really get comfortable in your daily driver. as soon as you do you have to give it to someone else.

also, if anyone has ever had a roommate that was a slob... kind of the same experience when it comes to a fleet car, but now you are sitting in their filth/stench. at least your cars are new and clean up pretty easily. sharing a 10-year old car with over 100k miles is no fun.
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    Buy a GTI. Good gas mileage, none of the headache. Pretty much solves every issue you have
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    My cars have been locking themselves for years (speed activated) and quite cant figure out why one would not want the doors locked.
  • dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    Regarding number 3: go to the IIHS site and look at the results for the YP Sedona. I predict that by the time every car has been redesigned and needs to be crashed again that there will be no car you can buy.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm not sure why a dead pedal even matters in an automatic car. Should be plenty of room under there even for your canoes! :)
    dg0472 said:

Regarding number 3: go to the IIHS site and look at the results for the YP Sedona. I predict that by the time every car has been redesigned and needs to be crashed again that there will be no car you can buy.

Subaru Outback doesn't auto lock (nor do most of the Germans) an it's at the top of the pack. Auto door locks aren't a crash safety thing, they're a "don't rob me" safety thing. -mm
    nagant said:

My cars have been locking themselves for years (speed activated) and quite cant figure out why one would not want the doors locked.

I'm a grownup. I can lock my doors if I don't feel safe. I don't need or want the car to decide that for me with no override. -mm
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2016
    Since when can you NOT program the auto-locking in a GM car for the last 5+ years? In the menu, there should be an option to auto-lock the doors upon shifting out of park, once moving, or not at all. This doesn't sound right.

Edit: Per the manual, it cannot be changed, but you can program the unlocking portion. Very odd.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2016

mfennell said:

Note I said "an AGRESSIVE regen system". It has one, it's just weak. I want regen cranked up to 11. I want it to act the way it acts with the paddle pulled all the time.
    -mm
    You want it more aggressive when you take your foot off the go pedal? That's not what you wrote. :) Because when you use the brake pedal it gets as aggressive as possible within the limits of the system.

EDIT: I see that your following sentence clarified. It does not say the same thing as the first. :) Totally agree with you about the e-golf.
  • rjchev11rjchev11 Member Posts: 4
    miata52 said:

Great Article, Mike. #9 on your list is all it takes for me: I'll never buy a car with a cheap interior (it's cost Subaru 2 cars from me).

All of the statements made by Mike are all BS. And most of all putting the Volt technology in an i3 is a BIG HOOEY!

csubowtie said:

Then you should buy a Highlander Hybrid, which I believe will check off pretty much all your boxes. The Tahoe hybrid is a joke. Like the BMW X5 hybrid is for people that want the badging to tell everyone they have a hybrid, but don't actually care about fuel economy.
    But I will buy thew 2017 Volt!!
    jakek66 said:

Buy a GTI. Good gas mileage, none of the headache. Pretty much solves every issue you have

Except that you have fallen victim to the Diesel Emissions Scandal!

mfennell said:

-mm
    Why don't you crank up to infinity?!
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176

nagant said:

I'm a grownup. I can lock my doors if I don't feel safe. I don't need or want the car to decide that for me with no override. -mm
    Gee petulant much? Why not forget the seatbelt as well?
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I agree with Mike. I'm OK with active safety features to an extent, but I don't want my car making these kinds of decisions for me. My wife's minivan auto locks and after living with it for 7 years it still annoys me when we stop and I have to unlock the doors. My own car does not auto lock, and if I have to drive through a shady area I am very cognizant of locking them myself. And seriously, you can't control the AC? Really? This isn't some military vehicle where occupant comfort is last on the priority list. And I will never buy a car that sucks to drive or be inside all in the name of fuel economy. It shouldn't be too much to ask for something that's efficient to at least feel well made. I really want to feel like GM is as good or better than the competition, and they have a lot of bright (no pun intended) spots across the range, but I feel like especially with mainstream cars they still aren't putting it all together. There's always something that turns me off.
  • electrifriedelectrifried Member Posts: 1
    "1: Seats: Seat bottoms are too short, as in two hand-widths from seat bottom to my knee short. No adjustability in that area. (DB)"

You must be monstrously big as I don't have a problem with this and I'm 6'2''

"2: Forward visibility: Not great. The front of the car is out there. Somewhere. It's got parking sensors that help, but I'd like a little more actual visibility."

It's really not bad at all.

"3: When you shift into drive, the Volt locks itself. I don't want a car to do that to me. There's no way to turn this off. (DB)"

And what happens when you put it in park? It unlocks correct? Why do you need to get out of the car when your in drive? I can at best see this as a minor annoyance but not a DB. To each his own. I do agree it should be programmable. Give the people the options! it's all software anyway lol.

"4: There's nowhere to put my arms. Just like with the Corvette, GM doesn't want my arms to have any space. On every turn, I thwacked either the center console or the armrest with an elbow."

Again you must be a monster. I'm 6'2'' and don't have this issue. You must also remember the class size of car you are buying. Perhaps you are looking at the wrong size of vehicle for your largness.

5: Too much chrome. Outside and inside.

Oh really?

6: Ride's not great over bumps. We pay all the taxes in the world here in California and the roads are all terrible.

It's no Cadillac but it's not bad either. I think people expect a lot because of the price of the car. But cars with this advanced of a drive train cost more.

"7: The front air dam scrapes over EVERYTHING."

EXAGGERATION
    I actually like that it scrapes on crappy uneven roads. It means it is low enough to give the car good aerodynamic flow. Which means it efficiently cuts through the wind.

"8: There's no way to turn off the air-conditioning. You can disable it most of the time, but if the battery needs A/C, the whole car gets A/C. We've got cars today with multiple zones of climate control, each with its own fan speed. In the Volt, I'm at the mercy of a battery's temperature fluctuation."

Ok I call BS. Unless GM did something crazy since the 2013 Volt (I own one).

"9: Interior quality. All of the money spent on the Volt went to the powertrain and chroming some interior bits. The shifter feels hollow, the switches aren't great and the whole thing has a very low-rent feel. I could live with it, but I'd rather not. (DB)"

Yes the drive train is quite advanced. GM didn't want to price themselves completely out of the market. But I find the interior very livable.

"10: Style. Subjective sure, but this thing is tacky. Cool it with the surface treatments and brightwork, GM."

Now Gen 1 Volts were tacky. But this not so much.

"11: Stupid regen paddle. As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself. Lifting off in the Volt is like lifting off in a normal car, not an EV. Further, the trouble with the paddle is that a brake pedal has many degrees of modulation and your foot is really good at using it. The paddle is on/off. It's like stabbing the brakes. VW's multi-stage, paddle-adjustable regen is an example of how to do this right."

I agree with the fact that the paddle should have more control of the regen. The Volt does have an aggressive regen in the brake. Like someone said drive it around for a while using only the brake pedal to slow down and after many stop the rotors are not hot. The regen is doing most of the stopping. You could also try putting the Volt in low if you wanted to try one pedal driving.