Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Voltage drops to near 9V

salliemaesalliemae Member Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
Just bought my Silverado 09, 4x4, crew cab, 5.3L, today I had to drive it long distance. More than a mile or so, then past week. Anyhow I was watching all my gages as driving and noticed my battery volt meter dropped a whole quarter from the middle to the 9v marker. I have never experienced this before in any trucks I have owned. Any ideas what could be the problem? Idles a little rough, no codes, all gages read normal and the oil pressure gage would rise a little when I went over 2k rpms. Connectors clean and entact, new filter, checked fuses except the big ones and they are good.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would take an actual reading off the battery using a multimeter. If your battery really was at 9V, that truck isn't going to be running much longer.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thank you and I had a feeling it would not last long, I'm taking my battery to get tested today. 
  • Options
    Okay, so I just got the battery and alternator tested. They both passed with no issues, now my radio isn't working. On its' own it switched from fm to aux mode and wont exit aux mode. This is the second time I had radio issues, when I got the truck bluetooth wasn't working and no sound. They replaced the radio and reprogramed it, worked all week until today. Help?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did they check all the truck's grounds?
  • Options
    Yes clean and good. :( I been researching and finding stuff on 08 models with chip and all sorts of electrical issues. But I have yet to find anything with my exact problems.
  • Options
    thingamabobthingamabob Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever get this fixed? Was it the battery cables?