Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Why Does Time to Recharge Battery Vary So Much ?

alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
edited January 2016 in General
This winter I have stored my new car in the garage and used only my second car. Every 3 to 4 weeks I connect a battery maintainer to recharge the new car's battery.

Usually that takes about 6-8 hours, but once it only took 3 hours and once it hadn't recharged after 12 hours.

Is it possible that a less-than-firm ground connection could cause this difference? At the start the maintainer always lights up to show it is connected.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    hard to say but if you are using a small inexpensive battery maintainer, these were never meant to charge up a fully discharged battery, so it's possible that if, say, during a particularly cold stretch, your battery charge goes well below its normal "mildly discharged" state, then this little guy might be struggling to keep up.

Also, battery maintainers, unlike battery chargers, do not charge at a constant rate.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Why not just keep it hooked up? That's what a maintainer is good at.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's what I think, too. Using a maintainer as a stand-alone charger isn't what it was built for.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    The time it wouldn't charge, I repositioned the leads and got full charge within about 2 hours.

I don't like to leave an unwatched electrical device turned on if I can help it. I don't see any advantage in leaving it connected and turned on.

Thanks for replies.