Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Traffic Deaths Spiked in 2015, Raising Red Flags

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in General
After years of steady declines, traffic deaths in the U.S. increased sharply last year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    edited February 2016
    Around Vegas the Lemming gene seems to have become active in many pedestrians over the last year. It is usually a once only event, though. Also people seem to have issues with making left turns at night in front of motorcycles going 90 MPH on surface streets. (insert rolleyes here) Not seen too many do-overs with that scenario, either.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2016
    Driver competence levels are falling I think, from levels that were none too great to begin with in America.

For one thing, all the "driver assist" gadgetry is actually dumbing down the driving experience in my opinion. No computer intervention will safe you if you are foolish enough.

Added to that we have absurd amounts of horsepower easily put in the hands of people who haven't a clue how to handle it. If mom and dad put up the money, a 16 year old can be thrown the keys to a 700HP Hellcat.

Throw in cell phones and "infotainment" and overage drivers who should have been tested and for many, taken off the road years ago--- and there you go---no further explanations necessary.

People are becoming less aware of what's going on, while at the same time grossly overestimating their own competence level.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Maybe we have reached 'peak safety'...I agree, all cars now come with built in distractions standard, phones come with every driver. Half the time driving to work somebody fails to notice the light changed as they work their phone. :@