Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rear back plates rusted and gone.

jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2016 in Buick
Has anyone else lost their back plates? Mine have rusted to the point that there is nothing left to protect the disk. My worries are as follows..... What will happen when the parking brake shoes are no longer held in place because of this annoying premature part failure? Will my rear wheels lock up and cause a loss of control, God forbid a head on collision? Hopefully not as my wife drives it and often has my children with her. Are all GM cars built this poorly now? I still own an old 22 yr old Intrepid, and it has no problems of rusty back plates...

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is a fairly common problem for this type of GM SUV. Here's a VIDEO that shows you what's involved in replacing these backing plates. The plates aren't very expensive but the replacement job is a bit involved---not technically difficult but a lot of steps.

I would replace these if this were my car for obvious safety reasons.
  • Options
    Nice video, The Buick is much more complicated than the rear drive vehicle shown.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The video was just to give you a general idea to let you know they are replaceable. I'll look around to see if I can find any how to on the Enclave.(Should be the same as the Acadia and Traverse).  Why would it be particularly more complicated than RWD?
  • Options
    There are three tiny bolts holding them on the rear spindle, the spindle is aluminum. The corrosion just might cause these small bolts to break off.... Which means change the spindles.... $$$$
  • Options
    I think I found the right diagram here:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=35769.msg462409;topicseen

Yeah I see where it could be tricky. Maybe with plenty of rust penetrant and an impact gun or impact hammer tool you'll get lucky.