Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    ab348 said:

Imid, speaking of that, do you still have the Cobalt? For some reason I thought that went away when you got the Cruze.

Yes. 8 years old an 70000 miles on it. Idles so smoothly, I check the tach to be sure it's running.
    Traded the leSabre for Cruze and he got the Cruze to pay for and I got the Cobalt back that he'd
    driven since high school.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162

Idles so smoothly, I check the tach to be sure it's running.

I remember having rented a Cobalt once. I generally disliked it, mostly because it scared me to death by skidding (new car with full tread tires!), at 60 mph or so after just tapping (literrally, touching) brakes when I tried to slow down to 50 mph. Admittedly the surface was moist at its lowest friction point, but my other cars have never done that to me. I remained scared of that thing until I returned it, fortunately it was next day or so. However, I can confirm the engine at idling was the quietest thing I've ever experienced, not just inside of the cabin, also outside as well.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    As far as this site is concerned, I've had a recent glitch. Posts that I've already read are showing up as new or unread. Anyone else?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2016
    Sometimes I see that - my theory is that if you click Recent Discussions and "catch up", occasionally someone posts while you are loading the new posts. Then when you next hit Recent Discussions, the unread post will show up, even it it's a page back and stuck in the midst of some posts you've already read. I think it happens in busy discussions and if that's the case, you'll just have to read faster and more often. :)

That said, sometimes I'll be skimming along and someone will do a reply post, and it'll include a quote from a post that I never saw.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    I was wrong. The comment editor is now good in all situations, all browsers. Perhaps this used to be a problem in the past. Now it looks good.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited March 2016
    berri said:

Individual farmers are often getting into a tough situation with the costs of land and equipment. Seems like its another line of work that is going to be taken over by big corporate type farms.

Where have you been, that happened back in the 1980s

30 years ago when we set up shop there was a small dairy farm across the ravine from us. Maybe 30 milkers run buy two brothers. Cows were so tame that they called them at dusk and the animals would march right into the barn.

Now my friends tell me anything less than 500 head is unsustainable.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

Thanks for sharing the story, Ken. I understand peoples' mistrust to any kind of judges or authority, but I think big majority of them are honorable and smart people, who can discern the facts of fiction. "Jury of peers", however, is more likely to be composed of majority of less than average intelligence (smart people will either be excluded or will try to get off) and somewhat average honesty. As I mentioned before, I appreciate the sentiment when this country was forming (King's judges were then delivering King's will rather than justice) and the concept of asking citizens to look at the matter and decide on facts may have made sense, considering that then the pool of "citizens" considered for such trials was also much smaller. Today, both prosecution and defense actively try to exclude (until they run out of strikes) anyone of large personal achievement, analytical mind - especially the side with a weaker case.

There is no perfect justice system. However, as reality is becoming more and more complex, adjudicating facts on cybercrimes, identity theft, or complex Ponzi schemes should be left to people who have intellectual capacity of understanding basics of math, economics, or other aspects of complex society. Not to sound too snobbish, but a housewife with high school education, welder, or a retired salesman don't strike me as such people.

I also like old British concept (don't know it that's still the case) of adjudicating cases away from the residence. When a community is harmed with a particularly terrible crime, an emotion of seeking revenge and desire to assign blame can be overwhelming. Combine that with "average citizen", you have basically a recipe for juries convicting wrong people, so things are closed, or acquitting obvious perpetrators, because they are neighbors and "good people".

We can find example of injustice, major one under all judicial systems. King's judges were not particularly just before the Revolution, but neither were those juries in Mississippi or Alabama convicting black men for crimes they didn't commit, or acquitting Klan members from murder charges in defense of their "way of life". I err on side of trusting professionals, even if they are far from perfect. But if called, I will of course serve and try my best. Eeeehh, nobody will let me anyway...

I find your post very condescending. There are plenty of housewives, welders and (sigh) "retired salesmen" who are perfectly capable of using their brains to sort out the facts. Others with advanced degrees can be so focused on their own stubborn feelings that they refuse to listen to the facts that were presented. Not only that some of those retired salesmen held some pretty lofty positions where they were accountable for getting results before deciding to do something different!
    My high school graduate wife would appreciate those kind words. She's the smartest person I know.

Hey, here's a mystery.

I was looking at a car site and saw this gem (2015) for just under $30k...7600 miles.

I felt that I'd made a poor choice buying new until I realized it was just a 4cyl. The interesting thing is that though the car is at a dealer in NY it was originally from Canada. How is that possible? Would that screw up registration, inspection or warranty?

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
    04/14/2015 NICB Vehicle manufactured
    and shipped to original dealer
    05/06/2015 Newfoundland
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    St. John's, NL Registration issued or renewed
    First owner reported
    Registered as commercial vehicle
    01/13/2016 7,683 Quebec
    Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed
    Odometer reported as 12,365 kilometers
    01/20/2016 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    02/27/2016 7,685 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    03/16/2016 myCARFAX

It is probably OK....if it made it into the US it probably has all the right forms. Odometer is in KMs, so take 12k X .6 which is about 7200 miles. Speedometer will show mph but smaller. How much was it new?
    A 16 vert premium is about $35k with standard options so not a great price on the 4cyl. If it was the v8 it would be a bargain.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited March 2016

30 years ago when we set up shop there was a small dairy farm across the ravine from us. Maybe 30 milkers run buy two brothers. Cows were so tame that they called them at dusk and the animals would march right into the barn.

Now my friends tell me anything less than 500 head is unsustainable.

My backyard neighbor has a 3/4th size milk cow (yielding a gallon a day) and her son is still with us (we're on the shortlist for steaks). I go over and pet them all the time. Can't talk them into getting a burro or some alpaca but they are into chickens at least. The guy would love to expand a bit, get into calf production, and quit his job. He sells cars and works crazier hours that my dairy farmer uncle did. :)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited March 2016

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

Thanks for sharing the story, Ken. I understand peoples' mistrust to any kind of judges or authority, but I think big majority of them are honorable and smart people, who can discern the facts of fiction. "Jury of peers", however, is more likely to be composed of majority of less than average intelligence (smart people will either be excluded or will try to get off) and somewhat average honesty. As I mentioned before, I appreciate the sentiment when this country was forming (King's judges were then delivering King's will rather than justice) and the concept of asking citizens to look at the matter and decide on facts may have made sense, considering that then the pool of "citizens" considered for such trials was also much smaller. Today, both prosecution and defense actively try to exclude (until they run out of strikes) anyone of large personal achievement, analytical mind - especially the side with a weaker case.

There is no perfect justice system. However, as reality is becoming more and more complex, adjudicating facts on cybercrimes, identity theft, or complex Ponzi schemes should be left to people who have intellectual capacity of understanding basics of math, economics, or other aspects of complex society. Not to sound too snobbish, but a housewife with high school education, welder, or a retired salesman don't strike me as such people.

I also like old British concept (don't know it that's still the case) of adjudicating cases away from the residence. When a community is harmed with a particularly terrible crime, an emotion of seeking revenge and desire to assign blame can be overwhelming. Combine that with "average citizen", you have basically a recipe for juries convicting wrong people, so things are closed, or acquitting obvious perpetrators, because they are neighbors and "good people".

We can find example of injustice, major one under all judicial systems. King's judges were not particularly just before the Revolution, but neither were those juries in Mississippi or Alabama convicting black men for crimes they didn't commit, or acquitting Klan members from murder charges in defense of their "way of life". I err on side of trusting professionals, even if they are far from perfect. But if called, I will of course serve and try my best. Eeeehh, nobody will let me anyway...

I find your post very condescending. There are plenty of housewives, welders and (sigh) "retired salesmen" who are perfectly capable of using their brains to sort out the facts. Others with advanced degrees can be so focused on their own stubborn feelings that they refuse to listen to the facts that were presented. Not only that some of those retired salesmen held some pretty lofty positions where they were accountable for getting results before deciding to do something different!
    My high school graduate wife would appreciate those kind words. She's the smartest person I know.

Hey, here's a mystery.

I was looking at a car site and saw this gem (2015) for just under $30k...7600 miles.

I felt that I'd made a poor choice buying new until I realized it was just a 4cyl. The interesting thing is that though the car is at a dealer in NY it was originally from Canada. How is that possible? Would that screw up registration, inspection or warranty?

05/06/2015 Newfoundland
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    First owner reported
    01/13/2016 7,683 Quebec
    03/16/2016 myCARFAX

It is probably OK....if it made it into the US it probably has all the right forms. Odometer is in KMs, so take 12k X .6 which is about 7200 miles. Speedometer will show mph but smaller. How much was it new?
    A 16 vert premium is about $35k with standard options so not a great price on the 4cyl. If it was the v8 it would be a bargain.
    I thought this was a pretty good deal from a local Ford dealer...brand new $23,000:

Exterior Color Race Red
    Regular Unleaded V-6 3.7 L/227
    Transmission 6AT

It looks nice and mean with those black wheels :s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Not bad for Corolla or civic money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited March 2016

thecarconnection.com/news/1102912_j-d-power-acura-mini-ace-dealer-service-survey-fiat-chrysler-brings-up-the-rear#src=10065

Interesting article. Apparently the dealer service department treats you worse if you come in for a recall. I would have expected the opposite to be true.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Our GM dealer was wonderful and even detailed our car!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited March 2016
    henryn said:

Thanks for posting these. I'm glad to see they verify that GM is trying harder and it's showing.

Doesn't say much for the fiat brands though.

edited March 2016
    Dealers don't get paid as well for recall or warranty work as they do for "normal" maintenance and repair. My guess is that the commissioned service writers also have a harder time upselling recall customers on anything.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

henryn said:

Thanks for posting these. I'm glad to see they verify that GM is trying harder and it's showing.
    It's an uphill battle for GM for sure. They have finally upped their quality, now they need the competition to drop the ball.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

jpp5862 said:

It's an uphill battle for GM for sure. They have finally upped their quality, now they need the competition to drop the ball.
    I disagree. It's time for the stereotyping by some that some other brands are perfect to cease. Can you say transmissions? Airbags? Engine gel? Exaggerated mileage claims? Unexplained acceleration problems? Usw.
    Yet some act like those are perfect vehicles throughout history.

They all put their wheels on one lug nut at a time.

Imid, no one here has said other brands are perfect. I own a Volvo and a Volkswagen, I love driving them.

Let your anger go Imid, it's just a car. :)
    In many areas, especially cars, it take a long time to build a reputation, and a long time to lose it (either way). Unless you have a catastrophic failure like VW!

So companies with a decades long rep as being rock solid get an extended "benefit of the doubt". Others with a cemented in bad rep have to move mountains to overcome that. So you end up easily with a transition period where perception and reality may not line up. Hence the difficulty of "proving" to the market that your new found quality products are in fact a good LT buy.

In can be done, if Audi of all companies pulled it off.

jpp5862 said:

I disagree. It's time for the stereotyping by some that some other brands are perfect to cease. Can you say transmissions? Airbags? Engine gel? Exaggerated mileage claims? Unexplained acceleration problems? Usw.
    Yet some act like those are perfect vehicles throughout history.

They all put their wheels on one lug nut at a time.

Usw? What's that?

I still have two GM products in my fleet that I either own outright or feel parentally obligated to repair. They have been pretty reliable vehicles considering their age. Ford products are starting to creep in and Chrysler which was once my love interest will be off my radar once the PT Crusier gets handed down to someone.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

Hey, here's a mystery.

05/06/2015 Newfoundland
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    First owner reported
    01/13/2016 7,683 Quebec
    03/16/2016 myCARFAX

I thought this was a pretty good deal from a local Ford dealer...brand new $23,000:

Exterior Color Race Red
    Regular Unleaded V-6 3.7 L/227
    Transmission 6AT

It looks nice and mean with those black wheels :s

Isn't it ironic that today a car with 300hp is considered a "secretary's car"? 15 years ago that would be a super car.

I like that stripe, wanted one on my car but you guys convinced me it would be immature. :@

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That stripe isn't immature. In fact, I don't think stripes can be immature. They can be odd... like when you can't figure out what the intent was :o

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    verdugo said:

Lots of people die at hospitals in the US too.

True but I would guess that the odds of dying in a Central American hospital are much higher than in a U.S. Hospital.
    verdugo said:

Last time I was home (Mexico City) I had an ultrasound done there at the best hospital in Mexico City. I paid cash. It was cheaper than an ultrasound I had done in the states a week later (the Mexico City one was a second opinion, it just took place before the first opinion :) ) If I remember correctly, the one here was around $450 and in Mexico it was $250 or maybe $300.

The ultrasound in Mexico City was done by a doctor. She brought in my regular doctor and they discussed everything with me there. Here it was done by a technician who couldn't tell me anything. I heard back a few days later from the secretary (via voice mail) that everything was fine.

I would go to that hospital in Mexico any day of the week.

One thing you have to remember that outside the U.S., Canada, Western Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand they are not as stringent in the regulations for medical professionals. Your doctor in Mexico or Costa Rico and other places my not be able to become a doctor here in the U.S. or in Canada.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

Excellent counterpoint. You are correct, people do die in US hospitals at an alarming rate. I respect your opinion as always @verdugo. I also think there is a big difference between getting an ultrasound at the best hospital in Mexico City and the resort in Costa Rica where @driver100's friend had his dental work done. While I don't have any personal experience, I do have a customer who died in The Dominican Republic during a minor plastic surgery procedure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593108/New-York-mom-28-dies-traveling-Dominican-Republic-cheap-plastic-surgery.html

Some foreign hospitals are probably better than one's at home. This part of the article has to be considered too:

In 2013, there were more than 1,000 cosmetic procedures performed in the Dominican Republic, 60 percent of them on foreigners, according to the country's Plastic Surgery Society.

The price is often about a third of the cost in the United States.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It sounds like about 600 procedures a year are done on foreigners, most successful. And, some people die from inadequate care at home too. I guess if you want to do it you have to check it out very carefully.

I would be more concerned with the part of the article that talked about the infections that have occurred and that many people who have had cosmetic surgery there have had to be treated here in the U.S. for infections resulting from the surget and even have corrective surgery here for botched jobs.

And with talk about Belize, too, stever? I don't know if I would really wanna move there in retirement or not. But to be able to survive on $1,500 a month doesn't sound too bad. Dental and medical would probably be do-able there but don't ask for open-heart surgery on the menu - OK, I'll keep that in mind.

Now, can a person get a Mitsubishi Mirage or Chevy Spark there for under $13,000 on any given day? Or would the common bicycle be the mode of transportation? Pocket billiards, shuffleboard and endless Seahawk cornhole games...now we're cookin' with Crisco. A sneak peak at the retirement life. B)

DirecTV for my Seahawk games? Is that getting too grabby for equator life?

When I was in Belize I really didn't notice to many people on bicycles, not much more than you would find stateside (however they do have a cross country amateur bicycle race). If I do retire down there I might look into a scooter to get around for short trips.

abacomike said:

He filed electronically using TurboTax. I already received an email stating that the federal return was accepted by the IRS. Thank goodness that's over with.

I find Turbo Tax to be a good program as long as the return is not to complicated. Basically basic income (W-2's, interest income, 1099-R's and unemployment) and basic deductions (State tax, property tax, mortgage interest and charitable contributions). Get any more complicated than that and I lose confidence in Turbo tax real fast. I have many returns I do each year that I would hate to do on Turbo Tax.

driver100 said:

I do worry when I think of some of the people in the audience who go to a Jerry Springer show........should those people be ion a jury?

Oh I wouldn't worry about Springers audience being on a jury, I would worry about his guests serving on a jury.

PF_Flyer said:

That stripe isn't immature. In fact, I don't think stripes can be immature. They can be odd... like when you can't figure out what the intent was :o

Yeah...no that stripe is immature.

driver100 said:

suydam said:

Hey! We can laud the capabilities of "Welders and retired salesmen" without having to diss college professors!

We diss everyone equally around here :p
    Some more equally than others.

stever said:

Just how many of y'all aren't seeing the icons above the posting box?

I see them when I am on my computer but not when I am on my phone or my Nook.

Hey! We can laud the capabilities of "Welders and retired salesmen" without having to diss college professors!

I'm a farmer with a master degree. Think how I feel. :'(

I just did some CE credits about Schedule F (Farm Income) my head still hurts from that.

driver100 said:

Exterior Color Race Red

Or as the state troopers I know call it "Pull me over red".

jpp5862 said:

The competition will drop the ball, the only questions are when will it happen? and can GM keep from dropping the ball first?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    My accountant is losing it. Found a big miss with the mother's state return. Federal looked ok.
    Compared both to last year.
    Haven't looked at ours yet.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    PF_Flyer said:

That strip is either tape or some cling type wrap, either way it looks terrible.

the front bumper looks like house paint put on with a dirty roller.

edited March 2016
    @stickguy,
    The front bumper looks like it is covered with blue painter's tape.
    Your comment made me look closer.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited March 2016
    Oh I wouldn't worry about Springers audience being on a jury, I would worry about his guests serving on a jury.
    As well as you (and all of us) should, because they do on a regular basis. Plus, just to keep it interesting, many of them vote.

The system is broken.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

One thing you have to remember that outside the U.S., Canada, Western Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand they are not as stringent in the regulations for medical professionals. Your doctor in Mexico or Costa Rico and other places my not be able to become a doctor here in the U.S. or in Canada.

Well, my one big experience with hospitals would tend to put the lie to that. When I had my heart surgery in 2009 I quickly learned that there was a hierarchy of doctors. My surgeon, whom I gather did the touchy, delicate work on me, was fine - I believe he was originally out of Massachusetts. His 2IC, who did most of the work, was from Eastern Europe, and seemed OK too. I enjoyed talking to him when he came by during my stay. But the majority of the grunt work surgery - opening me up and putting me back together afterwards, and then doing a lot of the bedside visits - was done by interns or residents, most of whom were from places where English was a at best a second language and whom I could barely communicate with. Two of them screwed up what was supposed to be a routine procedure which resulted in an extra 2 weeks in the hospital and loss of 30% of my lung function. I would much rather have taken my chances with a Mexican or Cuban staff doctor in one of their hospitals.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited March 2016
    Speaking of tax prep.  What do you guys pay your account for a typical Married return, state and federal?   

2 W2s, typical home owner deductions

We just paid $275 to the guy I've gone to for over 10 years.  I've heard much higher numbers from coworkers, just curious.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

ab348 said:

Well, my one big experience with hospitals would tend to put the lie to that. When I had my heart surgery in 2009 I quickly learned that there was a hierarchy of doctors. My surgeon, whom I gather did the touchy, delicate work on me, was fine . I would much rather have taken my chances with a Mexican or Cuban staff doctor in one of their hospitals.
    All the stories I have heard of for medical or dental work done in Costa Rica, India, etc. was all performed by doctors trained in the USA.

Mistakes like sponges or tools left in the patient happens a lot, in all countries.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The US doesn't have enough medical schools and is short physicians, so there's a decent chance you'll end up with a foreign trained doctor anyway. If you're VA or other gov program, that probability goes up even more.
    @tjc78,
    I'm about the same.
    If I am ever on trial I will have my lawyer ask prospective jury members if they watch or were participants in any Jerry Springer show........if they answer yes they are to be dismissed immediately. Unless i am guilty, in which case it might work out better for me.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Funny, the last time I was on jury duty they asked everyone if they watched shows like NCIS and realized they can be unrealistic. I responded I didn't, but sometimes I'd watch Cops for a couple of laughs. They didn't chose me B)
    edited March 2016
    jpp5862 said:

Let your anger go Imid, it's just a car. :)

That comment comes across as offensive. I suggest skipping my posts
    with my opinions in them.

tjc78 said:

Speaking of tax prep.  What do you guys pay your account for a typical Married return, state and federal?   

2 W2s, typical home owner deductions

We just paid $275 to the guy I've gone to for over 10 years.  I've heard much higher numbers from coworkers, just curious.  

Quoting preparation fees are tricky as fees are typically driven by what forms need to be filled out. Any number of things can trigger another form to be filled out and therefor increase the fees.

However for a married couple with just W-2's as income and basic homeowners deductions (State tax, property tax, mortgage interest and charitable contributions) and nothing else we charge about $200-225. Now if you contribute to a 401K at work that's the retirement savers credit and more fees. Donate a car or boat or over $500 in non cash items that we have to list out? Well that's more in fees. Got a kid in day care and you claim that credit? Guess what more money. Install a new energy efficient furnace? Congrats you get a bigger refund and a bigger fee.

A couple with kids in day care that have not only W-2's but interest income, stock sales, stock dividends, they get a 1099-HSA (health savings account), owns a condo that they rent out, she sells Mark Kay on the side and they received a K-1 from a partnership they have a passive ownership in now you're talking some serious money. That could be over $400 easily.

And don't even get me started on OTR truckers. :@

Everyone's tax situation is different and those differences can mean differences in refund/tax due and fees even if the appear to look the same.

edited March 2016

The competition will drop the ball, the only questions are when will it happen? and can GM keep from dropping the ball first?

As long as people keep giving GM's products a good, unbiased comparison look as some have done when shopping that's what they need. Actually as some charts show, most cars are good products these days compared to some several years back. Often the experience problems end up being the individual store or service shop giving the customer a bad experience.

I just get taxcut software, and do my own. Better than when I used to do them on paper forms! Man, I hated reading through the instructions.

we though are probably in that plain vanilla catagory. Just our 1 house, no fancy investments, normal jobs with W2s, and about the only special deduction the tuition tax credit. And because I am a nice dad, I do my daughters too for her.

Still less annoying than doing the dumb FASFA filing. Though that I only have to do 1 more time since this year is submitted already. Though that is sad, since it means my last tax deduction princess is growing up and will be leaving the nest soon, taking my dependent deduction with her!

I'm in the category of believing that even the "bad" cars today are much better than not that long ago. In quality, and functionality.

there do seem to be some glaring bad apples though. Specific components usually. Stuff like the Chrysler 9 speed trans, the early Focus CVT. Stuff that is bad, but not overall crappy car bad.