Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How do you handle the bill of sale and title when buying a car "online"?

andy1023andy1023 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in General
Hello,

I am considering buying a 2015 Jeep Wrangler online that I saw listed on Autotrader. I live in Colorado and its hard to find a good deal on Jeeps (not to mention the jeep I want), while the seller is in California. I read the Edmunds article here which mentioned some best practices and recommendations: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/buying-a-car-sight-unseen.html. There were a few things it didn't cover though:

1. How do you handle the bill of sale?
2. How do you handle signing over the title?

I would assume the bill of sale can be handled via scanning and email and the title can be filled out and signed by the seller so I just have to sign it on arrival. I'm curious from those of you who have bought a car through this method how you handled those two items and if there is a better way.

Thanks!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2016
    Make sure you get a scan of the title beforehand to make sure everything is in order---no salvage, seller is the owner, etc.--that sort of thing. If the title says "Jones" and your seller is "Smith", you got a problem.

Since the seller is unlikely to send you a title unless he is paid and you are no doubt reluctant to pay them without having a title (which is, after all, proof of ownership), then the seller can take the title to a bank officer at their bank, and give you that person's phone #. You can speak to them, and ask them to get the title from the owner, properly signed over, put it in a Fedex envelope addressed to you, and mail as soon as your wire transfer clears. Then everybody's happy.