Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Service for Recall and Issues - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Tesla
Service for Recall and Issues - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of a 2016 Tesla Model X and takes it in for its first service and recall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    A week is a bit ridiculous. It seems Tesla service is going to have a real problem as they start selling more cars.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    No loaner car? That would've been a nice gesture. If there was, then the downtime really doesn't mean a whole lot. I mean, sure, you're in a "crappy" Model S, but its not like you've having to force your spouse to drop you off at work everyday.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I have noticed a major slowdown in turnaround time for service visits as well. Unfortunately, Tesla's just aren't very reliable cars so people are always bringing their cars in for something. As Tesla sells more cars their service centers are getting inundated.

@kirkhilles1,
    Tesla will provide a loaner car if you request one. Edmunds just typically does not request one because they have a fleet of cars at their disposal.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

I have noticed a major slowdown in turnaround time for service visits as well. Unfortunately, Tesla's just aren't very reliable cars so people are always bringing their cars in for something. As Tesla sells more cars their service centers are getting inundated.

@kirkhilles1,
    Tesla will provide a loaner car if you request one. Edmunds just typically does not request one because they have a fleet of cars at their disposal.

My experience with Tesla is that getting a loaner car is not a very satisfying experience. I have a P85D and when I have service I have to beg for a loaner, and then I get the cheapest rental car Tesla can find (not a Tesla...usually something like a Dodge Journey. So yeah, ultimately you'll get a loaner but when you pay $130,000 for a premium vehicle, you should get a comparable vehicle as a loaner. Tesla customer service is pretty woeful.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @handbrake,

Really?! That would absolutely infuriate me. I always get a Tesla loaner without any push back. Last time my loaner was a P90D, which was a fun upgrade from my P85. I do live in the Bay Area, though, so my experience is probably idealized. Even so, I am starting to look for a new car (already have a lot of miles on my 2013 Model S) and I am not considering another Tesla. The car has been a lot of fun, but I am frankly sick of the endless reliability problems. My wife is considering a 75D so we may stay a Tesla family, but I am ready for something different.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Can we have an over/under poll on number of non-scheduled service visits? I like Tesla and wish them well, but if this is what the "average" buyer can expect with their model 3, the future does not look bright.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

@handbrake,

Really?! That would absolutely infuriate me. I always get a Tesla loaner without any push back. Last time my loaner was a P90D, which was a fun upgrade from my P85. I do live in the Bay Area, though, so my experience is probably idealized. Even so, I am starting to look for a new car (already have a lot of miles on my 2013 Model S) and I am not considering another Tesla. The car has been a lot of fun, but I am frankly sick of the endless reliability problems. My wife is considering a 75D so we may stay a Tesla family, but I am ready for something different.

Yep. We're in the Bay Area as well. This is our second Tesla (P85, then the P85D), so we sort of expected Tesla to notice that we're pretty good customers. We took the car to the Dublin service center and they were just not very interested in dealing with us. We had Audis, Bmws and Mercedes before the Tesla and in each case, we always got a loaner that was at least of the same brand, if not model. I pointed this out to the Tesla rep and he just said "we don't have any Teslas available."

I get it, they sell the cars that they make, but at the very least they should have paid for a loaner that was a premium type car, even if it wasn't a Tesla or a BEV.

Like you, we're also starting to look at the next car and Tesla is not making a very strong case for us to buy a third one.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited May 2016
    Seems like I get better service from my local Acura dealer, which is also in the bay area. Example: I have an Acura that is affected by the Takata airbag recall. Upon request, Acura gladly paid for a rental until the parts arrive. It's now been 3 months. They also said they would provide a "comparable" rental to the best of their ability. They gave me a BMW X3, so at least I'm not driving a penalty box.

If Tesla wants to compete with the big boys, they need to step up their service game to at least Lexus levels of service. My take is that they are in the honeymoon phase in that a lot of people are willing to overlook their reliability/service issues due to the coolness and of their cars. And the tech demographic fo the bay area helps with that attitude. But eventually, customers are going to expect that they operate at least as good as BMW, Mercedes, Audi.