Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lease question on wheels

txbulletstxbullets Member Posts: 24
edited May 2016 in Ford
So I just leased a new 2016 explorer xlt with 20" wheels and not even a month in my wheels get stolen from our driveway. If I choose to put aftermarket wheels on what will it do at lease maturity. I have leased 3 cars prior to this and every time trade in has been a negotiation just as if trading in a car I owned. Please help me make the decision on going back to factory or aftermarket.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    txbullets said:

So I just leased a new 2016 explorer xlt with 20" wheels and not even a month in my wheels get stolen from our driveway. If I choose to put aftermarket wheels on what will it do at lease maturity. I have leased 3 cars prior to this and every time trade in has been a negotiation just as if trading in a car I owned. Please help me make the decision on going back to factory or aftermarket.

I'm not sure there is specific language in the contract, but I would suspect that you have to return the car with the same equipment on it as when the lease started.

Therefore, I would recommend you get OEM factory wheels to replace the ones that were nicked.

Would it be correct to assume that insurance is covering most of the loss?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    txbulletstxbullets Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2016
    Yes insurance is covering it. But am I correct to assume that at the end of the lease your vehicle has a fair market value. If that number is higher than the residual you have equity. I would assume putting aftermarket on the car is going to reduce the residual guarantee but at turn in there is still a negotiation of your next vehicle to use to get the most. If that doesn't work buy the car out right and sell on private market. 

Why is this important?  OEM wheels are crazy over priced (insurance is giving me $840 per rim plus $180 per tire plus sensors and everything else)  I could buy just about any wheel on the market for that price and make my vehicle look nicer than factory and maybe more desirable at resell.