Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Is this junk or valuable?

plumpy33plumpy33 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Mercedes-Benz
I'm trying to figure out what to do with this car -- any help would be appreciated. Should I donate this as a junk car? Or is it worth something? What should I ask for it on Craigslist?

1997 Mercedes Benz E320.
The battery died sometime in 2007 (I think), and it never moved from the spot photographed again. It has moss and vegetation growing on it. Otherwise body seems in good shape. Gasoline drained out of it onto the driveway several years ago. Smells musty and bad. Critters set up shop in the trunk and you can tell. I found a service receipt from early 2005 that indicates mileage of 107,432. I'm not sure how much more they put on it before the battery died. Let's guess the mileage is somewhere around 125,000. We have the title and keys. But nothing works. Pictures below.

So -- any value here? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Definitely junk--but even junk has some value. You could try it on Craigslist for $1500 and if nobody bites or comes close then it's off to the wrecker. They'd probably give you $350 for it if they picked it up. Some of the parts are probably worth money, but of course you don't want to be in the parts business.

So if a CL buyer offers you anything over $350, take it.

Or you could donate it but keep in mind that donation tax rules have changed, and you'll only get to deduct whatever the charity sells it for, which won't be a lot. On the other hand, it's out of your hair quickly.
  • Options
    Thanks very much, Mr. Shiftright. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    Good luck with it. If you are so inclined you could clean it up a little before advertising, but do be careful of mildew and rodents and be sure to sell it "as is", "where is". Somebody out there might have the same car that needs a fender, some chrome, or expensive $$$ Mercedes parts.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Nothing than a good car wash and a fresh battery can do wonders with it. New tires too will help. Maybe a new engine and transmission and brakes. While you are at it, put a fresh coat of paint ., and sell it on craiglist . :p
  • Options
    Sometimes you just gotta let go..............
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    or make it a garden feature or children's play area B)
  • Options
    It has been a garden feature for years now! Time to clean things up. Thanks both!