Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Planning to buy MDX SH-AWD with Tech with low mileage (DFW area)

m54321zm54321z Member Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Acura
Hello,
I am thinking about buying a MDX either 2014 or 2015 SH-AWD with Tech. I have been closely following cars.com for the used vehicles.
The 2017 is supposed to be coming out soon and my understanding was Dealers should be trying to clean up their lots of Used 2014 - 2015 MDX's.

Surprisingly the prices seem to be high (around $36k to $41k) with mileage ranging from 16k to 35k.

There are few certified ones which are asking at $40,000.

What would be a good price for MDX SH-AWD with Tech or more package with 30k miles (average)?

I know there is TMV and NADA, but the prices seem to be all over the place.

Any clue for pricing would be much appreciated. That way I could walk to the Dealership and try to price a car accordingly.

Comments

• Options
    rahulmdxrahulmdx Member Posts: 9
    m54321z said:

Hello,
    I am thinking about buying a MDX either 2014 or 2015 SH-AWD with Tech. I have been closely following cars.com for the used vehicles.
    The 2017 is supposed to be coming out soon and my understanding was Dealers should be trying to clean up their lots of Used 2014 - 2015 MDX's.

Surprisingly the prices seem to be high (around $36k to $41k) with mileage ranging from 16k to 35k.

There are few certified ones which are asking at $40,000.

What would be a good price for MDX SH-AWD with Tech or more package with 30k miles (average)?

I know there is TMV and NADA, but the prices seem to be all over the place.

Any clue for pricing would be much appreciated. That way I could walk to the Dealership and try to price a car accordingly.

Not sure dealers will be trying to clean up used MDX's ... I know they will be incentivized to get rid of new MDX's (2015/2016) sitting on the lot. For your requirements (2014+ MDX SH-AWD w/Tech) it looks the list prices are around 37k so there is a bit of room to negotiate this down to 35k-36k. I would imagine a new '16 MDX with those options will be around 44k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/666234065/overview/
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealers often seem overly "possessive" of their older newish cars on the lot, and it often makes more sense to buy brand new than get a used one at an inflated used price. Then again, a $11,000 difference is pretty significant.

You can appraise a used one here, but if you've already seen TMV, then you've seen that link.

Wish I knew the trick - my guess is that the used vehicles aren't incurring any interest expense while sitting on the lot and there's no manufacturer bonuses to encourage the salespeople to try to move them. And there's a lot of profit in used cars so maybe they think it's worth it to hold out for a willing buyer.

Maybe take your checkbook already made out, find the sales managers, and waive it in their face?

• Options
    Thanks.
    What bothers me is, I see a 2016 SH-AWD MDX with Tech and AcuraWatch package (17000 miles, clean carfax) listed for $39,900
    Also, I see 2014 MDX SH-AWD with Tech (Certified, 28k miles) listed for $39k
    2015 MDX SH-AWD with Tech (32k miles) for $39k
    2015 MDX SH-AWD with Tech (42k miles) listed for $39k

I have a hard budget of $34k. so not sure if the dealers (both Acura and non Acura dealers) would be willing to come down to this price point.

- Another question is, Is it worth to go the FWD MDX with Tech Package?
    - What are the risks of buying a car at 42k miles within the budget?
    - if I buy just he SH-AWD (no tech package), does it let Bluetooth streaming, phone calls through the car stereo?

I am just confused and feel like not prepared to go to the dealers. You can say, I am bad at haggling prices..:-(
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'd think FWD would be fine for driving around Dallas.

Lower miles (to a point) is generally better and the book values usually reflect that. But most people average 15,000 miles a year any more, so 10,000 more miles isn't even an extra year's worth of driving for a lot of us. Guess you need to figure out if the '14s and 15s also have the 6/70 powertrain warranty. That could save you a lot of grief even on the higher miled-up ones.

Don't know about Bluetooth.

Dunno, if you have time you may just want to go tire-kicking and leave your number at every dealer that has MDXs in stock, always remembering that your willingness to walk out is your best negotiating tool.
  • Options
    Thanks Stever.

FWD can be an option, but I have been reading the AWD is much more fun to drive. I am thinking about changing the diff fluid/transfer case fluids by myself, so I could save up on the maintenace. Thus I was leaning towards the SH-AWD if price matches.

Is there a rule of thumb for car pricing other than putting in the details of each and every car in TMV or KBB to check the pricing? That way if at dealership I could come up with some realistic price.

2014 and 2015 both seems to have 6/70000 powertrain and 4 year 50000 miles of basic warranty.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Some people use a percentage off invoice. @Michaell has one that's specific to BMWs and may be able to suggest something similar for Acuras.

I'm still in the mode of working off invoice, but that's not all that good since invoice doesn't really mean much anymore.

But you're mostly focusing on used cars - for used cars, the rule of thumb is auction price plus some reconditioning costs.

The problem with that is that auction prices aren't easily available to the public. We have a great discussion here called Real World Trade-In Values and you can ask about a car in there and the regulars will have a good idea of what the dealer paid for it. But it's not instant feedback unless you happen to catch @qbrozen or some of the other regulars online when you post.

For help while you are actually at the dealer, we have Live Advice. So you can call or text or email Edmunds and at least get TMV numbers in real time without having to look it up yourself. Most dealers make you cool your heels when they give you a price so it's only fair to stall them out a few minutes while you make a call.

Here's the contact info and hours. It's all free, including the phone call if you go that route.