Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

carfax question

jimhahajimhaha Member Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Nissan
Hi all. I checked carfax report for a used car. From the report, it shows one owner only and 70000+ miles. However, the seller told me he is the second owner and his name is in the title.His grandma is the first owner.Also, I see the actual mileage is 110000+ . I don't understand why there is a big difference between carfax report and real situation. The history of the car in carfax has been updated to the end of year 2015 although report only shows one record 'Registration issued or renewed' every year since 2008. Is it normal to see a car history like this? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2016
    Post the VIN and we'll check it out for you. It's not uncommon for there to be "gaps" in CARFAX data.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. The VIN is 1N4BA41E54C858825

Post the VIN and we'll check it out for you. It's not uncommon for there to be "gaps" in CARFAX data.

• Options
    Well the problem is that they stopped reporting/recording the mileage back in 2013. Looks like maybe the car was sold in May 2013 as well---it's a little vague. Not much in recent service records, though.

Seems like a typical CARFAX report---the value isn't what's there, but what isn't there.
  • Options
    Thanks. The car was shaking when I test drive, and I can hear the engine even the windows are closed. Is it normal for a 12-year used car?

Well the problem is that they stopped reporting/recording the mileage back in 2013. Looks like maybe the car was sold in May 2013 as well---it's a little vague. Not much in recent service records, though.

Seems like a typical CARFAX report---the value isn't what's there, but what isn't there.

• Options
    Shaking isn't normal. You might want to get a pre-purchase inspection if some things are worrying you.