Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Looking to lease a new 2017 or 2016 Forester...heard horror stories...

ajayjayajayjay Member Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Subaru
Hello, I've heard stories of many owners re: engine oil leaks, timing components, head gaskets, , ac and gas pedal, power gate opening, etc.

My mechanic and a few other mechanics told me not to buy unless it's confirmed these issues have been fixed, that they are pricey to repair, parts take awhile to get in, repairs take longer to complete.

I'm worried and wondering if these items have been rectified in the 2016 or 2017 yet?

I'm also looking at Hyundai's Santa Fe or Honda's CR V.

THX

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Sounds like a story any brand could have
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Oil leaks: Front crank seal leaks fixed in 1999 with new Phase II EJ25.
    Timing components: What issues?
    Head gaskets: Fixed in 2011 with new FB25 engine.
    A/C: What issues?
    Gas pedal: What issues?
    Power gate: Not aware of any issues other than it's slow.

2015 Forester 2.5i Touring, 31,xxx miles ... no issues.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    ajayjay said:

Hello, I've heard stories of many owners re: engine oil leaks, timing components, head gaskets, , ac and gas pedal, power gate opening, etc.

My mechanic and a few other mechanics told me not to buy unless it's confirmed these issues have been fixed, that they are pricey to repair, parts take awhile to get in, repairs take longer to complete.

I'm worried and wondering if these items have been rectified in the 2016 or 2017 yet?

I'm also looking at Hyundai's Santa Fe or Honda's CR V.

THX

None of those things are happening to new Foresters. None of them have enough mileage to accumulate those problems. If you are leasing, none of that is going to apply.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ajayjayajayjay Member Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone. I see so many complaints still going on about recent Foresters, 2013-2015 and 2016.

If I lease do I have to pay for these major repairs if they happen, if the warranty does -does Subaru have a history of trying to get around warranty like some other brands?

Anyone know if Costco's auto program or going directly to Subaru would be better?