Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Subaru Forester Prices Paid

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited August 2016 in Subaru
Please post about your deals here.

Selling price is more helpful than your OTD number, so thanks for breaking down your deal. It's also helpful to know what part of the country you are in.

Comments

• twinty6twinty6 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Stever! I am trying to decide between a Forester and a CRV. I am in FL. I got a quote for a 2017 Subaru Forester Base selling price $22,306.00. I like the power seats in the premium but I don't need to have a moon roof. I am just trying to get an understanding of the prices in the Subaru. A few months ago I got a quote for a 2016 Honda CRV EX at 25,300 out the door, so I know that is my target price if I do go for the CRV. However, knowing that the EX comes with so much more than the base Forester...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2016
    Subarus don't sell well in Florida so that could help you (unlike Colorado, Vermont and Washington where it's definitely not a buyer's market).

Subaru has done well managing their product, production and inventory. They went big in recent years so the Forester now is as big as a CR-V. That's increased their customer base a lot although some of us who had older Outbacks (me) or Foresters (my sister) think they got a bit too big. My sister wound up with a Crosstrek because she liked the size better.

Anyway, while car sales are easing, Subaru continues to sell everything they can make without having to go to incentives (they do have some low APR financing). Thus the deals are skinnier.

So high demand, limited production will work against you a bit.

Your resale will be hurt a bit since people in Florida mostly buy FWD and the AWD does cause a mileage hit. (22/29 for a Forester, 26/33 for a CR-V FWD). But that helps you when you buy (then drive it to Denver in 3 or 4 years and sell it to CarMax and enjoy a free ski vacation on your profit, lol).

A CR-V will resell better if you don't drive them forever and expect to trade in a few years.

But life is short so drive what you like.
  • twinty6twinty6 Member Posts: 14
    Great points. Thank you!
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Been shopping a new car for 3 weeks, test drives, talking to sales guys and GM's about pricing - sort of a fun process but it gets old after a while. I was pretty much set on a Honda, or the new 2017 Toyota, and decided on a smaller SUV from the Pilot or Highlander so the CRV size was right for me. If you read the Honda purchase price forum I got a $32k out the door on the CRV AWD EX-L which is reasonable. Then I drove a Subaru Forester - yesterday and today. Then I watched YouTube videos on AWD and they are NOT all created equal! (The videos sold me!) A huge surprise to me. Search for 'forester vs CRV' if interested. The Forester is almost perfect for me. 8.7" ground clearance, nice inside like all SUV's (cars) these days, option for turbo motor (boxer type) with amazing power. Only 2 USB ports and difficult to reach under the center armrest, but I'll put and extension on these and relocate. More cargo space than the Honda, and on and on. I'm waiting for quotes from the dealer on the turbo and non turbo Touring models. If they are close to 32k out the door, I'm getting one! If not, I'll fall back on the Honda, which you can't go wrong with, but the Subaru offers me more of what I want for sure.

I'd like to see more posts on prices paid! I'll keep looking around.

Scott
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    We just bought a '17 Forester XT Touring w/ Eyesight, navigation, STi shift knob, weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper cover, and auto-dimming exterior mirrors w/ puddle lights. Our OTD price was $31,500. I can't remember what the exact sale price was, but I believe it was just under $35,000 after negotiation.
    Congrats!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    tayl0rd said:

We just bought a '17 Forester XT Touring w/ Eyesight, navigation, STi shift knob, weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper cover, and auto-dimming exterior mirrors w/ puddle lights. Our OTD price was $31,500. I can't remember what the exact sale price was, but I believe it was just under $35,000 after negotiation.

STi shift knob on a CVT ... LOL

$31.5 OTD for a $35k negotiated price?? Did you have a trade in?

• crvbuyer8crvbuyer8 Member Posts: 4
    FORESTER 2.5i Premium
    Base MSRP* $25,495
    Destination & Delivery $875
    TRANSMISSION Change
    Lineartronic CVT $500
    COLOR Change
    Exterior - Ice Silver Metallic
    Interior - Platinum Cloth
    PACKAGES Change $1,695
    All-Weather Package + EyeSight® + Blind Spot Detection/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert + Fog lights $1,695
    ACCESSORIES Change $0.00
    Fog Light Kit (Standard) $0.00
    MSRP: $28,565
    Doc fee: 349

Got a quote of 3000 off MSRP. Good price ? @stever

edited September 2016
    Ah, switching gears from a CR-V eh? It's really hard to beat the Subaru safety package - keep hearing good things about EyeSight. Be a good ride for Boston for sure.

Invoice is $28,578, MSRP is $30,710 and the TMV average price paid for your area is $29,107. Splitting the difference between invoice and MSRP seems common for Subarus, especially in more northern areas.

$3000 off MSRP would put the selling price at $27,710 or $1,200 below invoice.

Sounds like a very good price to me even with the somewhat high doc fee, we aren't used to seeing Subarus selling for below invoice. Demand for cars in general may be easing a bit making the dealers a bit more aggressive.

Please keep us posted!

• crvbuyer8crvbuyer8 Member Posts: 4
    @stever switched gears again today. Ended with the following car:

Boch Toyota South , 2016 Toyota Rav4 XLE AWD w/ Convenience Package,

MSRP $31,320
    Invoice $29,605

Sell Price $26,299 with destination
    Doc fee: $399

Total Savings: $5,021 off MSRP.

The kind of option combo is hard to find. Also the color I wanted. Have to jump in. It's about $2K more than CRV EX. But I get all safety features available.

I almost bought a CRV EX AWD last Sunday from Silko Honda. The price was quoted $24187 with destination. Not bad at all. Just before signing the manager said they wanted $300 more with very rude attitude. I was not going to buy from this kind of people. I just walked. Actually the reason told was that because I used TrueCar.com to get quote, which will take $300 if the deal goes through. So don't use TrueCar or any site to get quote. Just email directly to get from dealer will make the bargain easier.

Thanks for the people who shared their experiences and @stever , really helped me a lot. If more people share we all will benefit.
    edited September 2016
    lol, I thought I was all over the map with car shopping. At least you know how to pull the trigger when you finally find the right car. Congrats! And good move springing for all the safety stuff - that's better insurance to me than, well, insurance.

And good for you for walking over the CR-V deal. I wish more people would do that.
  • newcarinvanewcarinva Member Posts: 4
    I am helping my mom buy a 2017 Subaru Forester / Touring model / 2.5i with Eyesight package that includes navigation. Exterior color Crystal White Pearl and Interior Saddle brown. Our market is Richmond, VA or Roanoke, VA. We got a quote from a Subaru dealer in Roanoke, VA for sale price $32 K. I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you.
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    edited October 2016
    About the same time last year I negotiated 2016 2.5 Touring w/eyesight with MSRP ~$34,800 for $1,500 under invoice. Also in VA. Hope this helps.
  • chagwoodchagwood Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    Model: 2017 Forester Limited
    Options:
    Pop pack 1
    All weather mats
    Cross bar set
    Luggage cover
    Seat back protector
    MSRP: $31,263
    Sales price: $28,000 + $600 doc fee
    Date: 11/17/16
  • bcofbubbabcofbubba Member Posts: 14
    If MSRP is high $34K for 2.5 Touring with all the packages. What should be the selling price OTD?

Thanks
    chagwood said:

Model: 2017 Forester Limited
    Options:
    Pop pack 1
    All weather mats
    Cross bar set
    Luggage cover
    Seat back protector
    MSRP: $31,263
    Sales price: $28,000 + $600 doc fee
    Date: 11/17/16

Congrats @chagwood!
    bcofbubba said:

If MSRP is high $34K for 2.5 Touring with all the packages. What should be the selling price OTD?

Thanks

OTD should be around $35,500 ($32k to $32.5k selling price plus ~10% California taxes and fees).

You may be able to whack that a little bit more, say $500 or so. Not sure how well AWD Subies sell in Orange County. TMV is pretty strong there though, so you may not find aggressive pricing right off the bat.

Let us know how it goes - we could use some more real world price points.
  • bcofbubbabcofbubba Member Posts: 14
    stever said:

bcofbubba said:

Thanks

OTD should be around $35,500 ($32k to $32.5k selling price plus ~10% California taxes and fees).

You may be able to whack that a little bit more, say $500 or so. Not sure how well AWD Subies sell in Orange County. TMV is pretty strong there though, so you may not find aggressive pricing right off the bat.

Let us know how it goes - we could use some more real world price points.

If I were to ask for $32K OTD with everything included. Will they laugh at me? OC tax is 8%

edited November 2016
    Probably. But if you don't ask you'll never know. You won't insult anyone by asking, it's just business and they've heard it all.

Maybe it's different in SoCal but Subaru continues to have trouble keeping up with demand and their production lines were maxed out last I heard. They are at 9 straight years of increasing sales in the US. And the Forester is made in Japan and that puts another crimp in supply, not even considering the effects of today's earthquake. (Automotive News)

Our inventory link shows about 25 2.5l Tourings within 50 miles of 92801 and another 30 in LA County. Many of those won't be loaded.

They're great cars and unfortunately the dealers know that too.

Good luck!
  • hey_blinkinhey_blinkin Member Posts: 5
    Looking at a Forester 2017 Premium 2.5 w/ All Weather package. Is a quoted price of $25,811 good? That doesn't include anything in regards to fees.
    Hey Hey, MSRP is 27,370, invoice is 25,758 and the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $26,087. Those numbers all include the $875 destination.

Your offer is about 6% off MSRP and a couple of hundred bucks off the TMV average.

Subarus are tough. I'd like to see you get closer to 8% off, but ... Subarus are tough.

Try a counter of $25,200 and mind the fees. If you can wait, you might get there if the dealer is borderline making their year-end quotas. Looks like there's plenty of inventory for a change, so that works in your favor.

If you get stonewalled, no biggie, you're still close to invoice and a bit better than TMV.

• suvshopper999suvshopper999 Member Posts: 2
    hi folks-

thanks to all for the insightful info and expert advice. we are in Austin, TX.

We are in the market for a small SUV and our max budget is $35K OTD (including all taxes tags etc). After test driving several SUVs we are torn between 2017 Honda CR-V EXL and 2017 Subaru Forrester 2.5i Limited. or Touring

2017 CRV EX-L, we are basically quoted sticker price. ~ 28K +taxes+tags+processing fee
    2017 Forrester 2.5i Limited w/Nav - got a quote for ~ 31K + taxes + tags+doc fee
    2017 Forrester 2.5i Touring ~ getting a online quote ( Edmunds price promise quote from a nearby dealership) for $31k ( base price no extras + taxes+tags+processing fee)

Any help on which price I should be targeting, I'd like to ideally take it well below invoice price.

Thanks so much
    -UK
    Hard to beat the Honda dealers for the SUV deals, even in Texas.

From recent post skimmings, it sounds like you should get some quotes from Dallas and Houston though on whichever one you decide to go for.
  • suvshopper999suvshopper999 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Steve, you think they will laugh me out of the dealership if I ask for $30K ( plus taxes, tags) for 2017 Subaru Forrester Touring with eyesight/nav package?
    edited December 2016
    Maybe. But laughter is good for the soul. B)

TMV is $31,039 and that's about $450 below invoice and about 7% off MSRP ($33,765).

Your proposed selling price is about $28,125 and that would be around 16% off MSRP. You'd have a better shot at 13% off MSRP or ~$29,400 for your selling price before taxes. $31.2k OTD in other words.

Doesn't hurt to ask, you may be pleasantly surprised. And check my numbers - my wife is rebalancing her IRA today and lots of numbers are flying around the casa here. Occupational hazard of working out of my living room. :)

• gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    XT Forester. I live in and must buy from a Mexico Subaru dealer. The choice is to pay $26,376 usd for a 2016 new XT, or to pay $29,328 for a 2017 new XT. The difference of $3,000 raises my question to you all: Is the soundproofing (door seals, thicker windshield) and the vectoring to compensate for steering issues, worth paying the $3,000 for a 2017? The other choice is an Outback 3.6 2017 for $30,280. So, is the 2017 worth $3,000 more for the new features? Thank you.
  • judithf1judithf1 Member Posts: 1
    Minnesota, March 28: Forester 2.5i Premium with all weather package, eyesight and all safety features, Ice Silver. MSRP $29,800. Discounted to $27,062 - 9% off MSRP. Trade for 2010 Forester with 54,000 miles was $10,900 confirmed on KBB.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,747
    judithf1 said:

Minnesota, March 28: Forester 2.5i Premium with all weather package, eyesight and all safety features, Ice Silver. MSRP $29,800. Discounted to $27,062 - 9% off MSRP. Trade for 2010 Forester with 54,000 miles was $10,900 confirmed on KBB.

Congrats on the new Forester!

What was wrong with the old one? Barely broken in. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    kyfdx said:

judithf1 said:

Trade for 2010 Forester with 54,000 miles was $10,900 confirmed on KBB.

What was wrong with the old one? Barely broken in. ;)
    She should have sold the old one to Wes to replace his broken (totaled) 2010.

• speedymjsspeedymjs Member Posts: 5
    June 22, 2017 -- Completed actual purchase of Subaru Premium in Venetian Red Pearl.
    From Brown's Manassas Subaru in Northern Virginia (outside Washington, DC)
    No trade in; paid cash.
    All figures after TOTAL MSRP are guesses, but very close - not off by more than a few dollars.

(Sorry about the formatting)

BASE MSRP: $25,995
    Option Pkg 14: $ 1,695
    Includes:
    All-Weather
    EyeSight
    BSD w/LCA
    SRF Lights
    Protection Pkg #1: $ 610
    Mirror Compass/HL: $ 342
    Cargo Tray: $ 81

Dest and Delivery: $ 875

TOTAL MSRP: $29,598

Dealer Discount: - $3,928

Selling Price: $25,670

Processing Fee: $649
    TTL: $1,179

TOTAL OUT
    THE DOOR PRICE: $27,498

I received 7 or 8 quotes, all on the day before the purchase.
    This was the very lowest. Others came in up to $1,000 higher.
    All dealers located in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area.

speedymjs said:

June 22, 2017 -- Completed actual purchase of Subaru Premium in Venetian Red Pearl.
    From Brown's Manassas Subaru in Northern Virginia (outside Washington, DC)
    No trade in; paid cash.
    All figures after TOTAL MSRP are guesses, but very close - not off by more than a few dollars.

(Sorry about the formatting)

BASE MSRP: $25,995
    Option Pkg 14: $ 1,695
    Includes:
    All-Weather
    EyeSight
    BSD w/LCA
    SRF Lights
    Protection Pkg #1: $ 610
    Mirror Compass/HL: $ 342
    Cargo Tray: $ 81

Dest and Delivery: $ 875

TOTAL MSRP: $29,598

Dealer Discount: - $3,928

Selling Price: $25,670

Processing Fee: $649
    TTL: $1,179

TOTAL OUT
    THE DOOR PRICE: $27,498

I received 7 or 8 quotes, all on the day before the purchase.
    This was the very lowest. Others came in up to $1,000 higher.
    All dealers located in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area.

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• euler74euler74 Member Posts: 29
    I have a quote of $27000 on a 2017 Forester XT Touring (without eyesight) w/ 13k miles. I need to inform the dealer by tomorrow. Is this a good deal?
    euler74 said:

I have a quote of $27000 on a 2017 Forester XT Touring (without eyesight) w/ 13k miles. I need to inform the dealer by tomorrow. Is this a good deal?

If it's a used car, try asking here:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/1212/general/x/real-world-trade-in-values

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator